Thinking about getting an 09 Blade and would greatly appreciate advice
    Member #

Thinking about getting an 09 Blade and would greatly appreciate advice

Hi All,

Since owning my CB1R for a little over a year I have abslolutely loved every single one of the 18,000 miles iv'e put on her. However after my last excursion to Nurburgring am instructor told me that I'm good on the corners but the top end of the bike on the straights and fast bits let me down. This got me thinking about what bike to get AS WELL AS having the CB as I can't bring myself to part with her and will use it for daily commutes, days when theres a chance of rain, and touring etc.

I'm looking at a 2009 CBR1000RR (Repsol as it's my absolute favourite design) mainly because I don't want anything with all the electronic gizmo's under the sun, and because I've tried a lot of other bikes recently (MT10, BMW S1000r, S1000rr, Tuono 1100Factory, KTM Superduke 1290R to name a few) and nothing feels or sounds as nice as my 2011 CB1R.

It will be a fair weather machine, and used for very occasional track days including more planned trips to the ring so I can try to get under a 9 minute lap.

Any advice from people who have owned one of these machines would be greatly received and things to watch out for, or even other bikes to consider would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I own a 07 blade as my track bike and had a 08 that I traded for the CB. Id never have another pure rr type sport bike on the street again. I love the CB so much more than my 08 blade. But for track days yes

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RideRed View Post
    I own a 07 blade as my track bike and had a 08 that I traded for the CB. Id never have another pure rr type sport bike on the street again. I love the CB so much more than my 08 blade. But for track days yes

Thanks Red, thats intriguing. Why wouldn't you run one as a road bike? And also I read somewhere that the 2008 blade is the one to avoid? is this true or just speculation from a disgruntled owner do you think?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleydeuce View Post
    Thanks Red, thats intriguing. Why wouldn't you run one as a road bike? And also I read somewhere that the 2008 blade is the one to avoid? is this true or just speculation from a disgruntled owner do you think?
    The 08s had the oil burning issue but as long as you didn't let it run low it wasn't an issue.

On the street the cb b is as fast and easier to go fast in that. Any sport bike under 100mph.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I also had an 07 CBR1000RR and loved it. I also had an 06 CBR1000RR, but it's the same as the 07.

2008 was an all new redesign, so that's probably why people say to avoid it. I know I won't buy a first year bike. When I bought my 07, the 08's had just came out, but I didn't want a first year bike, so bought the 07 even though it was identical to the 06.

For me, it really depends on what you're doing on a CBR1000RR vs a CB1000R. I no longer commute on the freeway for an hour each way, so the CB1000R is better for my day to day riding now. A full tilt 1000cc sport bike is awesome on the freeway for so many reasons. If I had to do a lot of freeway riding again, I'd get another CBR1000RR. For everything else though, I prefer the CB1000R. CBR1000RR's suuuuuuck for city riding. You can never stretch it's legs. Ever. Going slow on a fast bike is just miserable, plus a sport bike will hurt your wrists (at least mine) on anything but freeway riding. On the freeway the wind blast holds you up (I ride fast). The CB is plenty comfortable in all situations, just doesn't have the outrageous (awesome) acceleration of a 1000cc sport bike on the freeway.
    2014 CB1000R
    2014 Mustang GT

Member #
    I had one of the first 08 blades when they came out in the UK.

Great bike. Engine pulled like a turbine, with loads of power. So much that after three years of hooning around I traded it as was going to loose my license or get pulled by plod at a stupid speed. Plus pretty cramped (I'm 5'11") and it seemed smaller than some 600s.

Really flickable and so stable.

Had a couple of recalls in first year of ownership. First was a clutch replacement and then a water hose. All sorted in typical Honda manner with free loan bike of my choice for the day each time.

No issues with oil usage on mine, but I did run in as manual instructions, would guess a few were flogged from day 1 as was the class leader super bike for a couple of years, and so bought by the power rangers brigade...

TBH CB1000r is more more usable for daily riding, visibility in traffic was not great as 'arse-up, head down' position and turning circle on rr was awful. Plus r has more usable power band for road and much easier on the wrists and back in town.

As a track toy, go for it. Great bike.
    Last edited by Huey; 08-22-2016 at 05:19 PM.

Member #
    Great!!! Seems like it might be the right choice for me then. Like I said, I'm not going to get rid of the CB, it suits me down to the ground for most of my riding, but I want something to use on nice dry track days and to take back to the 'Ring. So from what you've all said so far it'll be a good bike to keep in the garage whilst I use my CB and when I want to go REALLY fast, break out the CBR.

I can't wait, going to look at one tomorrow which has similar upgrades that I already made to the CB (Akro d cat exhaust, and hel braided hoses) with the added bonus of a PCV and a quickshifter which I've always wanted. I hope it's not a shed in sheeps clothing.

Member #
    Liked
    813 times
    Sounds like a dream combo !

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    In 2010, I couldn't decide whether to buy a new CBR1000RR or CB1000R, so I bought both

Both great bikes and no problems with any oil burning on the RR or warranty issues with it.

Sponsored Links