ABS compulsory in 2016
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    228 times

ABS compulsory in 2016

I see EU law will make ABS compulsory for new bikes over 125cc in 2016. Are there any other new regulations coming in?

I know that ABS is an option for the CB1000R today - or maybe more accurately it is not installed on every bike in every market. I am wondering if EU regs might be the nudge that Honda needs to update the bike?

Also, this year seems to have seen a big leap in power and technologies from other manufacturers. Like many older riders, I'm not a fan of giving up control to an electronic brain, most especially on my motorbike, but it does seem obvious that the march of technology will turn me into a dinosaur or a convert at some point :-)

We've had a few conversations already about the CB1000R being long in the tooth. What do you think 2016 might bring, if Honda has a refresh in mind? I don't think my heart would break if we got a horsepower bump to 160 8-)

Member #
    Liked
    153 times
    My guess is that Honda would simply fit the current abs system to all bikes and be done with it, its the most cost effective way of doing it, they would then just add the extra monies to the price and that would be it. I too would love it to start to compete against the competition but i am not going to hold my breath, i have read a few reviews now of the new naked suzuki and although the overall opinion is good what really stood out is when the writers mentioned what the new bike was up against..... the CB was not there as its main competition ! That speaks volumes.
    Last edited by Hudson; 05-18-2015 at 02:04 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    228 times
    Well, clearly the press dismissed our CB years ago. And yet here it is, and we all know it is a great bike. It is, however, quite clearly a last generation machine.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
    My guess is that Honda would simply fit the current abs system to all bikes and be done with it ....
    Honda seems to be dropping C-ABS in favour of a simpler ABS (ie. not combined). I had the 6 piston front C-ABS on a CBF600SA, the same as fitted to the first Crossrunner and the CB1000R. More recent bikes (eg. new Crossrunner) seem to have a simpler 4 piston (I think) front ABS with no link from the rear pedal to a single front piston. To me this is a step forward as I prefer minimum intervention, having said that I do appreciate the safety aspect of ABS and possibly traction control. I have been trying to find out what ABS is being fitted to the 2015 CB1000R, but so far have got nowhere ... the present Honda website is pathetic at giving a decent technical spec!

Member #
    Liked
    813 times
    I think the CB needs to move to 4 pot radial caliper ABS - they could revamp the bike with upgrades to wheels, calipers and suspension plus another 20 or so horses - the 999 motor could be used and remodelled to a naked - in terms of brute power I suspect the frame and current chassis won't be up to it and it probably needs to lose a few pounds too....the Suzuki does sound very good, but look at the back end and swing arm compared to the CB with its SSA ....some parts on the GSXS look quite cheap.....they need a sub 10k bike with general upgrades all round and the current motors super smooth delivery I reckon ! ....

Member #
    Liked
    153 times
    Agree, the suzuki is a nice enough bike but its no great leap forward to what we all have now. The BMW or the Aprillia are another matter but then again they are in a differnt price bracket. To the poster who asked about the 2015 CB's abs system i can not imagine its anything other than what has been fitted since 2008 (and what i have on my 2010 bike), if they were going to upgrade it at all then i doubt it would be just the abs system being changed, so i suspect its all staying the same. I actually like the link between the rear brake and one piston at the front, i find it suits my riding when filtering through traffic and using the rear brake to scrub some speed off when ' weaving ', the rear seems to keep the bike settled unlike the front which i use for slowing down from greater speed.

Member #
    Liked
    132 times
    Got ABS on my new bike. No linked braking though thankfully. Can turn it off (handy when bleeding). Also got traction control adjustable to 8 settings and can even adjust engine braking. 4 fuel maps selectable on the starter button on the move and a custom setting where I can select abs or not, amount of traction control amount of engine braking and fuel mapping and it's saved so I can recall any time. Quickshifter as standard too.130 BHP and 160kg = missile. Honda will need to make some changes to keep up with the others.Name:  P1000748.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  1.13 MB
    Last edited by squidger; 05-21-2015 at 06:50 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I have linked ABS on my R1200RT and it's great. I rarely touch my back brake. If it's done right there's nothing wrong with linked ABS. I do understand why one would want to defeat it for track use, but (unfortunately) I very rarely get to go off street.

Member #
    Liked
    228 times
    I don't understand how anyone rides without using the back brake...

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Pulling the front brake on the RT also activates the back brake. You can use the back brake by itself for very slow speed stuff, but otherwise the brakes just work together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links