1,000 Miles In
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1,000 Miles In

Member #
    Liked
    150 times

1,000 Miles In

I'm just shy of 1,000 miles now in the three weeks I've owned the CB1000R, and apart from the minor niggles, like the fact that I seem to have a vibrating rattle at over 5krpm, and the tail being scuffed by my seat cowl, I'm really loving the bike. But, here's the thing: I moved up to the CB1000R from a 2006 model 600cc Honda Hornet which I loved to bits, but I was fed up of always having to rev the nuts off of it to get moving along at a pace, which resulted in constant gear changes. So, does the CB1000R fit my requirements? Disappointingly no, it doesn't. It hits the rev limiter far too early for me, and now that I'm able to open it up I'm finding myself 'held back' by the bike, which has really disappointed me. OK, so I didn't like having to rev the Hornet so much all of the time, but sometimes I wanted to, and the CB doesn't let me. Don't get me wrong, the bike is awesome, and it's so much faster than a 600 Hornet (as proved to friends ) but it just seems to run out of puff a bit too early for me

Is it something I'm going to get used to do you think, or is it just not the perfect bike for me?

Member #
    Liked
    25 times

Re: 1,000 Miles In

No,

What you are doing is the same I did when I moved from my ZX600R to my CB900 Hornet, I moved because I was fed up after 4 years off revving the tits of it and hitting the limiters all the time.

Problems was I actually ended up riding the CB900 the same, reving the tits off it and hitting the limiters. Its just that you get there quicker and the revs are lower so bigger grin. I always felt the 900 had enough power adn was a great alrounder, I wish that I was moving onto the 1000 from the 900 and not from having the 2 offs, I don't think there would be to much in it from the performance of my 900 as I had geared it and sorted the cans and powercommander so it was pretty nippy. But the 1000 is that next stage on and from what you say about the exhursts 8bhp is easily released which will give that little extra for those that want it.

What you need to remember is that you are probabley riding it like you did the 600 but because its smoother and does things with less stress it may seem as if its slower but in actual fact you are going quicker... Thats the advantage of Torque....

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Ant the only way forward is for you to buy a bus

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    150 times

Quote Originally Posted by sadbiker
    What you need to remember is that you are probabley riding it like you did the 600 but because its smoother and does things with less stress it may seem as if its slower but in actual fact you are going quicker
    Oh no, I know I'm going quicker, what I'm saying is that I'm running out of revs earlier than I like to. I guess I'm mainly going to have to retune my shift indicators (my ears) to shift lower down the rev range as I trained myself quite quickly on the Hornet to change just before the redline, which is a couple of thousand RPM further up than the CB. Once I'm adjusted I'm sure I'll be OK, but at the moment it's frustrating

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

If you are hitting the rev limiter you are changing too late. Change earlier and you will be happier and go faster!

I had the same problem when I went from the K1200S to the much lower revving R1200R.
    Ride safe
    /hass

Back on two wheels!

Member #
    Liked
    150 times

Quote Originally Posted by hass
    If you are hitting the rev limiter you are changing too late.
    He he, yeah, I know, that's the problem isn't it? I am so used to changing a couple of thousand RPM later and I've tuned myself in to that, so I keep leaving the change too late. I could really do with an extra 1000RPM!

Member #
    Liked
    277 times

The only way to cure that frustration is either 'retune' yourself to change up that bit sooner-or buy a full on 'Blade.
    By the time you're up near the redline fear makes you change up/ease off the throttle or both-they're awesome but bloody uncomfortable compared to the 1000R.
    Black,Honda seat cowl,Akrapovic open exhaust system,carbon fibre under seat side covers,sprocket guard & front cowl,PC III,Evotech Tail Tidy & Crash Protectors,Ermax bellypan,carbon hugger,Pazzo levers,Beowulf stainless steel rad guard.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times

Moving from my old 600 Hornet to 900 Hornet, my experiences were exactly the same as Sadbiker's. DOn't fooled though... you are travelling with alot of speed.

The power delivery on my FZ1 by comparison is completely different.... jusdging by that Bike review there's not much between the bikes but the FZ1 is all high end revs..... and it goes on and on and one..... I rarely hit the limiter but I am working harder to get the speed up.

Member #
    Liked
    150 times

Quote Originally Posted by DAN
    DOn't fooled though... you are travelling with alot of speed.
    Why do people keep focussing on that? I know I'm going a lot faster than I was on the Hornet, but who changes up at a certain speed? I'm listening to the revs. I'm not disappointed with the power, or the speed, or anything like that, I just wish it revved a little further as each gear runs out a lot quicker (in seconds and revs) than the Hornets did and as I've mentioned I have to retune my ear-to-foot shifting sensor. No complaint or confusion about the speed I'm doing when I'm shifting ta

Member #
    Liked
    25 times

Look its simple, when you hit the rev limiters then thats the time to change if you are finding you are changing to early. It never hurt my zx6 or CB900. I always believed that was they were for.

So keep it nailed till you feel the bike is going backwards, change gear and nail it again. By the time you get to 5th I would expect it harder to hit the limiters, and if you manage it in 6th "Rock On".

I so wish I could ride like this this again..... But my wrists have their own limiters now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links