446 Miles Down: My Opinions So Far
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times

446 Miles Down: My Opinions So Far

446.1miles down according to the second trip meter, which I don't ever reset, and I have some thoughts on the bike so far and I wonder if I'm alone. For anyone who hasn't read the countless posts I've made about it, I moved up to a CB1000R from a 2006 Honda Hornet 600, and I've only been riding since February 2006, so bear in mind that much of this opinion comes from a fairly inexperienced point of view.

So, after the past few days, and 446 miles in varying weathers, and bearing in mind the bike still isn't run in, what gripes do I have?

• My very first gripe was that I couldn't see that I'd got the bike in neutral on the dash, because the sun was shining straight down onto it and made the lights too dull. I had to make a shadow with my hand to see it[/*:m]
    • The 'reserve' indicator is pathetic. The fuel gauge is similar to my old Hornet's, but when the Hornet got to 'reserve' it would go into a kind of tracer pattern, with all the 6 bars filling up from the top down, and then emptying in the same fashion, before repeating. The CB1000Rs gauge is much smaller, and only 5 bars, and the smallest one of the 5 (at the bottom) just flashes very discretely when you're running low. Granted the reserve is 4 litres, but I didn't notice it switch to it, it's only because I'm looking at it that I saw it[/*:m]
    • The suspension is far too soft. Some of us don't know much about suspension setup so having to adjust it is a pain in the backside. Thank you Honda for putting some adjustment instruction in the manual, but making something harder or softer doesn't actually explain what either way is good for. All I know is that I've thought I was having mini-slides but couldn't tell, and therefore couldn't do much about it[/*:m]
    • The switch gear on the left I can live with, but the one on the right (starter and emergency cutoff) is both cheap looking and too small. It's also too far away from the grip so I have to reach for the starter, whereas the Hornet had the starter right where my thumb would fall. Much better[/*:m]
    • The engine sounds like a diesel when cold. A guy at work was too afraid to tell me that my shiny new bike sounded like this so he told someone else. When this other person told me I thought "thank God, I thought I was imagining it". I shall be asking the dealer whether this is normal or not when it's serviced, but it doesn't sound right to me. I mean the engine noise, not the exhaust noise, and no, it's not as loud as a diesel would be.[/*:m]
    • I keep getting pins and needles in my right foot as a result of the vibrations through the foot peg. It may sort itself out when it's had its first service, and likewise it could just be to do with the revs that I'm running it at while running it in, but it's still inconvenient and uncomfortable[/*:m]
    • The mirrors are shockingly bad. Not just because I can mostly only see my own arms, but because they vibrate too easily too, making everything behind me a blur[/*:m]
    • The seat cowl, an optional extra granted, has a huge hump on it that gets rammed into your lower spine (coccyx) when you're accelerating and it's really uncomfortable. I fitted the pillion seat and went out for a 40 mile run and it was far more comfortable[/*:m]
    • The seat itself IS a bit too firm, although I think it's one of those things that you get used to if you ride it enough. I've not done enough miles to get a numb bum yet, but I've had to adjust myself a few times to keep the blood flowing[/*:m]

I want to add that the number plate hanger is ugly too, but since it's required by law then there's nothing much that can be done about it I guess, so I won't whine about that

Right, so that's the negative stuff out of the way, what about the good stuff?

• The seating position is next to perfect for my 5ft11, 13 stone body. It seemed tall when I first got on the bike, and heavy, but you get used to that in practically no time at all and find it really comfortable. Short or tall people may find the bike uncomfortable though. I get the feeling I'm the kind of size that Honda designed the bike for (but didn't set the suspension up for). The footpegs are right where I'd want them, and as are the bars and seat. The tank 'pad' is a great idea too and comfortable for gripping the tank with my legs[/*:m]
    • The engine is a piece of fine craftsmanship. The way it makes its power, and the amount of it, is just perfect for what I want. I like to be able to just go when I want to, but I also want it to be smooth and predictable, and it's just that. This morning I had the rear in a slight slide coming off of a roundabout, as I did my Hornet, but the Hornet was redlining and the CB was at about 7,000rpm in 3rd but smooth and controllable all the way[/*:m]
    • With the exception of the warning lights being hard to read in bright sunshine (like we get much of that in the UK) and the petrol gauge I really love the instrument cluster. The MotoGP inspired digital rev counter is excellent, and the speedo is easily read. I had to turn up the brightness (of the blue glow) from 1 to 3 so that I could see it more easily in duskier conditions, just because it's so cool![/*:m]
    • The attention it gets from pretty much anybody and everybody is brilliant too. People who detest bikes seem to like it, and even people who think that all bikes should be enclosed in a fairing and designed for race use seem to like it. I've only had one negative comment about the position lamp too, and that was from someone who is more into choppers![/*:m]
    • The overall style and design of the bike is just brilliant. It's kind of related to the previous point, but it deserves it's own thumbs up. It just looks awesome. A guy at work who rides a 98 VFR800 commented that the bike is very small, and then apologised for saying it. "No, it's good that it's small!" I said, and yes, it's only a little larger than a 600 Hornet. Impressive![/*:m]
    • The tank range before reserve appears to be around 130 miles, which is more than I got from the same sized tank on my 600 Hornet. Bearing in mind that's only using 13 of the 17 available litres, I reckon you're looking at 10 miles per litre, assuming you're taking it steady, so you should be able to get another 40 miles out of reserve[/*:m]

I appreciate that's 9 negatives and 6 positives, but the negatives are generally very minor, while the positives are major. The bike is just awesome, and I'm hoping that after these 600 miles and two weeks are up that I'll find most of the negatives are done away with.

Member #

Re: 446 Miles Down: My Opinions So Far

Hey mate, from somebody who has been riding for a long time and has owned lots of bikes, not least most of them hondas, if you dont mind i would like to give you my views on your views if that makes sense!! 1. The engine is , as you know based on an 07 fireblade. All fireblade motors are mechanically noisy from cold, and when they are warm, they are bullet proof. This is nothing to worry about. 2. The switchgear is also off an 07 blade, and just look at most other bikes and it looks good, and is perfectly reliable. If you want to see cheap look at a buell!! 3. The suspension is a bit softer than maybe it should be but learn to understand what the bike is telling you and make small adjustments and note everything down. Also it would be a good idea to check the sag set up (see last months ride mag). 4. All naked bike mirrors are frankly, shite!! 5. Are you gripping the tank with your knees at all when your cornering? This could explain while you are feeling slides 6. Do you ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs also, this may be why your feeling vibrations. Overall ant, just give it a bit of time mate and i gaurantee that all these minor irritations will go away because with having blades before, to me it just feels like a naked version and i think its mint!!

Member #
    Liked
    150 times

Course I don't mind, I need the wisdom!

1. Good to know, did notice that it's only when cold[/*:m]
    2. The switchgear is the same as on my 2001 125cc Varadero. Much prefer the stuff used on the Hornets[/*:m]
    3. I had a lot more feel from the Hornet and I can deal with slides just fine, as long as I know what it's doing. In fact, I enjoy sliding it a little [/*:m]
    4. Didn't have any problems with my Hornet's mirrors (the square ones, not the old round ones)[/*:m]
    5. A little, yes. I used to ride horses when I was a kid so I'm used to hanging on with my knees[/*:m]
    6. Yes, keep the ball of my feet on the pegs, uncomfortable otherwise[/*:m]

Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased with the bike, and as I say, the negative points are minor niggles. I say I'm pleased with the bike, I'm not, I LOVE the thing, it's awesome. I think of these things more as characteristics. You know, like you do unreliability on Italian bikes

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    25 times

Quote Originally Posted by Antnee
    Course I don't mind, I need the wisdom!

1. Good to know, did notice that it's only when cold[/*:m]
    2. The switchgear is the same as on my 2001 125cc Varadero. Much prefer the stuff used on the Hornets[/*:m]
    3. I had a lot more feel from the Hornet and I can deal with slides just fine, as long as I know what it's doing. In fact, I enjoy sliding it a little [/*:m]
    4. Didn't have any problems with my Hornet's mirrors (the square ones, not the old round ones)[/*:m]
    5. A little, yes. I used to ride horses when I was a kid so I'm used to hanging on with my knees[/*:m]
    6. Yes, keep the ball of my feet on the pegs, uncomfortable otherwise[/*:m]

Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased with the bike, and as I say, the negative points are minor niggles. I say I'm pleased with the bike, I'm not, I LOVE the thing, it's awesome. I think of these things more as characteristics. You know, like you do unreliability on Italian bikes
    Good to see your write up,haven't got any negative bits yet, but I tend to take the bike as it as and learn to hopefully ride how it wants too, hopefully adjusting to it, Something I think I failed a little with my last bike.
    As for Italian unreliablity, untrue and a little bit off a myth. Ducati actually make some very reliable bikes, My other half has done 18K on her 620 monster since 02 and won't change to anthing else. Her last bike dropped a valve at just over 2 years old with only 10K on the clock(zx6r). I have had 2 S2R1000's the first I did just over 4K in 4Months before it was written off after a accident. The second I only did 6K in just under 2 years again totally reliable. The issue with Italian bikes is more if they don't get looked after and serviced on time. More so with the watercooled sports bikes. Through there is a known issue with poor cam lobe finishes on ealier 996's which becomes expensive. Shame the italians didn't learn from the Japanese is this was a major failing in the 80's on a few Kawasakis. Honda seems to have learned from its own lessons and now builds some very good engines, But VF's, soft cam chains are a sore point from the past. With storys the first VFR's were sold at a loss to rebuild reputation.

Sponsored Links