1st 400 miles - 1st impressions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

1st 400 miles - 1st impressions

Here's my 1st impressions, and obviously these are 'my' opinions and others may disagree, but here goes anyway.
    Picked my white non abs thou R up Friday, and managed 250 miles. All done in glorious sunshine. Saturday did 70 in the rain and another 70 today, half dy, half wet.
    During Friday I had a fiddle the suspension which I thought was quite soft, so stiffened it up all round, and it feels better, but think more fine tuning to come.
    Tank range to flashing gauge, about 130 miles, mirrors about as good as a sports bike, lots of elbow tucking. Overall very comfy for a 'naken', wind blast ok to about 90-100. Clocks not as hard to read as MCN said.
    In the wet, that lovely minimal back end offers no 'protection' what so ever, back of my jacket as wet/dirty as the front, (god help any pillions in the rain) also back of the bike was filthy.
    Love the torque, the light weight and the looks. I also have a CB1300 and it absolutely dwarfs the thou, it's as if they're different scale models when next to each other !
    Overall, very pleased with it, absolutely no regrets so far.

Speighty

Member #
    Liked
    25 times

Re: 1st 400 miles - 1st impressions

Sounds about right.

Glad you are enjoying it.

Member #
    Liked
    150 times

Yep, I can agree with everything there, but bear in mind that the clocks complaints from MCN included the warning lights, which are definitely difficult to read in bright sunlight. Otherwise I certainly don't have any problems seeing the dash at all.

I look forward to hearing more about your suspension setup on the 19th Ian, maybe can take a few pointers on how to adjust my own.

When have you got the first service booked in for? Mine is for the 18th. Had to cool the amount of miles I was doing after Friday alone because I'd need the service come Tuesday at this rate and I don't want to be running much past the 600 miles before the service

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #

Hi Antnee,

1st service booked for this Tuesday, then I'm off to the Isle of man on it on Wednesday for 3 days. Which is why I've been 'forced' to ride it in less than favourable weather to get the mileage on. Hoping to get out again tomorrow to get the mileage up to at least the 500 mark.
    Regards the suspension, on the front I've given it a full turn in (harder) on the pre load, and half a turn in (harder) on the compression and rebound.
    At the back i've upped the pre load from 3 (factory setting) to 5 and and the rebound half a turn in (harder). Obvioulsy set up is dependent on many factors, riding style, roads you ride, and your build etc. I'm 16st or so and will be mainly riding B roads.....briskly.

Speighty

Member #
    Liked
    150 times

Sounds good. You've noticed a marked improvement have you Ian?

I'll be on the bike in the morning too. Only a 7 mile commute, and the BBC is saying "light showers", but then it said "light rain" for today and you should see the rain outside now. Did you see the F1 too? The downpour they had, we had also. When you can clearly see rain on TV then it's heavy, and that's what we had.

Still, the bike has to get used to being out in it all, and I have to get used to riding it in all weathers also, might as well start at the beginning!

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

I have only managed 80 miles as I was away most of the weekend. First impressions are very good, it looks fantastic too (white ABS).

Quick summary:

Engine: power delivery is very smooth and the power comes in quite gently (compared to my Tuono) which given I will be riding this bike in all weathers is a good thing. Fuelling is spot on. Pulls well from low revs and starts to pick up very quickly at 6K rpm which I'll explore more after it's run in.

Handling: Takes a bit of a push to get started turning but steers quickly once it's over(this might just be the tyre profile though). Suspension needs firming up a bit but I need a few more miles before I start adjusting, handles bumpy roads well and doesn't get knocked off line.

Brakes: Still getting used to the combined ABS, like the back for slow corners and u turns, still getting the feel for the front. Not sure if it lacks power or if the back coming in makes it feel less so because it isn't pitching forward as much. Haven't tried the ABS yet.

Equipment: love the clocks even though the speedo digits are a bit small, haven't had any problems reading it though. Mirrors are poor and I'll be replacing asap, they are too high and close together and blur above 80mph. Have heated grips on but haven't used them yet. More underseat storage than I expected, enough for a disc lock, visor cleaner etc

Overall I'm very impressed, it feels lovely to ride and I can't wait to get more miles done.

Member #
    Liked
    150 times

I would agree with that, although I've not had any problems getting the bike to start cornering at all. I do keep finding myself running tighter than I meant to though; on Friday I ran so close to the inside of a corner that I ran over a drain on the inside of a left bend! Bear in mind that I only have a 2006 Hornet 600 to compare it with, but the steering seems ultra sharp to me.

Its raining like crazy here at the mo, and I have to leave for work in 30 mins, so I'll be testing the heated grips today as I find they're perfect at keeping my hands that bit drier. Lets see if the CB1000Rs work as well as my old Hornets did

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

Antnee

Can you let me know where the heated element is on your grips, I understand it is only at one part of the grip not all the way round. I tested mine this morning on full power and although I could feel the clutch side getting warm (but not hot) I couldn't feel the throttle side at all (wearing thin kangaroo palmed race gloves). I think the problem is that the dealer has fitted the he throttle side in a different position with the element sitting at the bootom of the grip. I assume he has done this to ensure slack/clearance when the throttle is twisted but the result is that the heat is at the bottom of the grip which I'm not touching at all. If you could post a picture of yours that might help me confirm if they have been fitted properly.

Thanks
    Paul

Member #
    Liked
    150 times

Sure, can't see a problem with that. She's all wrapped up now after a good clean, and I can tell you that my grips worked fine today, both times I used them, and I didn't notice any cool spots. I'll have a look later/tomorrow and let you know

Member #
    Liked
    150 times

Paul, not sure how much use these pics are, but they're the best I can do with a camera phone I'm afraid!

Attached Images Attached Images    

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links