CB1000R durability. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Hey Colvert,
    now that's great advice you cant beat a trickle charger/battery conditioner for a long battery life, mines been on charge for nine years this April
    Bike was new in 2011, and she still starts like new on the original battery.
    Mind she hasn't been started since November so shes due a winter warm up soon when I get chance. Probably get her a new one this year just for the hell of it.
    Hope your good, went through Shaldon this afternoon! Looking lovely!
    Watch out for them tractors!

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Furygan View Post
    Hey Colvert,
    now that's great advice you cant beat a trickle charger/battery conditioner for a long battery life, mines been on charge for nine years this April
    Bike was new in 2011, and she still starts like new on the original battery.
    Mind she hasn't been started since November so shes due a winter warm up soon when I get chance. Probably get her a new one this year just for the hell of it.
    Hope your good, went through Shaldon this afternoon! Looking lovely!

---------
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Personal Disclaimer:
    My thoughts are intended to provide a sounding board for your own.
    Some of what I say may go against your own thoughts and may seem harsh, targeted and malicious.
    This is not my intention – I am simply using my experience, including other peoples, as a way of debating and giving advice - of which there is no guarantee that it's correct

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    ADMIN.---------Can we have the old Like Button back, please.------------
    Personal Disclaimer:
    Some of what I say may go against your own thoughts and may seem harsh, targeted and malicious.
    This is not my intention – I am simply using my experience, including other peoples, as a way of debating and giving advice - of which there is no guarantee that it's correct

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    I use a battery charger regularly but i’ve found there are other issues associated with long periods of non use.

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tucksie View Post
    I use a battery charger regularly but i’ve found there are other issues associated with long periods of non use.
    Interesting.---What is it you've found then???
    Personal Disclaimer:

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Was leaking coolant, not much, from the weep hole behind the water pump. I asked a dealer for an opinion and he asked if the bike had been sat around much. Reckoned the seal can dry out with non use. I’m also concerned about modern fuel sitting around in the fuel system for too long.
    Last edited by tucksie; 02-14-2020 at 03:16 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    Was leaking coolant, not much, from the weep hole behind the water pump. I asked a dealer for an opinion and he asked if the bike had been sat around much. Reckoned the seal can dry out with non use. I’m also concerned about modern fuel sitting around in the fuel system for too long.
    Well that seal is in water all the time . Also it's a rubber toroid. No water in it to dry out.--

You can get stabiliser for modern fuels to put in the tank over winter. Apparently that works OK.
    Personal Disclaimer:

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
    Well that seal is in water all the time . Also it's a rubber toroid. No water in it to dry out.--

You can get stabiliser for modern fuels to put in the tank over winter. Apparently that works OK.
    Ok that’s interesting about the seal. I plan to use the bike a bit more in future which will hopefully help with the fuel concerns.
    Last edited by tucksie; 02-15-2020 at 05:43 PM.

Member #
    carbon/carbide/ceramic mechanical seal. not rubber seal.
    for example
    https://www.amazon.com.au/REPLACEMEN.../dp/B07DD4LJH4
    similar arrangement diagram here https://www.be.aisin-europe.com/file...Water_pump.pdf

the mechanical seal has a wet side and a dry side (duh ).
    IF the seal stayed wet when engine not turning... that would require a continuous leak through it....
    when running, there is mechanical/hydrodynamic sealing effect with little fluid loss.

it is possible for the dry side of the seal to dry out into the sealing faces (coolant drying), gumming up slightly which can interfere with the mechanical seal when the motor turns again. (needs to be smooooth)
    occasionally starting for short time after long time resting can actually make that worse.. if the gummed up shit is not worn off, then a small gap can open up and you get leak until engine runs ans shit wears off again.

should go away with riding again, but if it doesn't, then either the ceramic face has too much shit on it, or the carbon face has been worn by the gunk.
    Last edited by oldcorollas; 02-15-2020 at 11:19 PM.

Member #
    and photos from CX500 old motor
    Yamaha Alternative Mechanical Seal CX/GL

and Deauville details
    Deauville water pump / mechanical seal

Name:  m_seal41.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  10.9 KB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links