Old vs New?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old vs New?

Member #
    Liked
    124 times

Old vs New?

Greetings all

Been away from biking for a couple or three years now due to life problems.....you know how it is....

Anyway, my 2013 CB1000R tri-colour has been taking an extended vacation under the covers in the garage for most of the last three years, and in my absence from biking I see the old girl has been replaced by a newer model.

My question is how does the new bike shape up compared to the old one?

I love my CB1000R and it was bought to replace by 2010 Fireblade. She’s had some pretty healthy mods, full Acropovic Titanium system from front to back, PCIV, Öhlins rear, race lab set up, lashings of carbon fibre etc etc. I can track my CB1000R with all these mods faster round the same bit of track than I could on my old Fireblade, with the added comfort the naked bike brings on the road and the extra power she now has, she’s a quick, well handling machine and still looks every bit the part. I don’t really want to sell it and have no desire to, but is the newer bike, apart from the retro cafe racer styled looks much of an improvement over what I’ve already got in my admittedly, heavily upgraded bike?

I’d love to hear from anyone who’s got experience of both, especially if youve had an older model that was properly sorted like mine, because it’s the best all round bike I’ve ever had and has put plenty a Gixer thou to shame on the twisties in the real world whilst at the same time being a respectable cruiser of sorts.

Here’s some pics of the old girl, and she still looks the same even after her long slumber....

https://www.hondacb1000r.com/forums/...tml#post173358
    Last edited by Meademan; 07-02-2019 at 05:50 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    228 times
    The new bike is beautifully made. Bottom end is a bit soft compared to your model. Top end has more oomph, plus an extra 1,000 rpm if I remember right.

I'm sitting at Laguna Seca, ready to take both my 2012 CBR1000RR and my 2018 CB1000R on track tomorrow and Thursday.

My CBR is bone stock.

My CB1000R has ohlins shock, Matris fork cartridges and Quickshifter.

My 2014 CB1000R had same ohlins, and Racetech cartridges. No QS.

I'll have more to say about this over the next 2 days.

Name:  20190702_182342.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  3.45 MB

Member #
    it's down on power in the lower rpm range,, very noticeable,, especially when you come from a modified '13.
    i had a '13 will full yoshi/intake/powercommander and i really miss that bike. 6th gear pull was amazing.
    the nsc is very smooth,, very very smooth. and i'm happy with her.
    spun out '

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    Well thanks for the replies so far. It seems my modified ‘13 is a keeper so far. I need to get it back on the road before summer is out.
    I’d still be interested to hear how the track day dual turns out between the two.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Meademan View Post
    Well thanks for the replies so far. It seems my modified ‘13 is a keeper so far. I need to get it back on the road before summer is out.
    I’d still be interested to hear how the track day dual turns out between the two.
    Me too. It would make interesting reading.

Member #
    Liked
    228 times
    Track day.

Laguna Seca. My current laptimes: 1:55 on the CB. 153.5 on the CBR.

They are vastly different machines, so I have to recalibrate between them, but I have no doubt I could break 1:50 on both. I'm no trackday junkie, but solid B pace. Sub 1:50 would get me in A.

Member #
    Liked
    228 times
    P.s. not hating the electronics and QS. Well. I hate the ABS, but i just extended my braking zone a tad rather than pull the ABS fuse.

Member #
    Liked
    244 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigOne-94-14 View Post
    Track day.

Laguna Seca. My current laptimes: 1:55 on the CB. 153.5 on the CBR.
    hey Steve, you're making me feel alright! I think of you as pretty fast rider, based on street and track observation, and the one day I rode Laguna Seca I got to steady 1:57 - 1:58s on my CB. I even had another (faster) B rider come over to me afterwards to wonder who-the-fuck was riding the upright bike, and to 'complain' about how late and hard I braked, so he couldn't get past me good times! quite the track, isn't it...
    piling the mileage on...

Member #
    Liked
    228 times
    Quote Originally Posted by doser View Post
    hey Steve, you're making me feel alright! I think of you as pretty fast rider, based on street and track observation, and the one day I rode Laguna Seca I got to steady 1:57 - 1:58s on my CB. I even had another (faster) B rider come over to me afterwards to wonder who-the-fuck was riding the upright bike, and to 'complain' about how late and hard I braked, so he couldn't get past me good times! quite the track, isn't it...
    Nice!! What was the temperature? We didn't get over 62f today, and yesterday was about 66 or 67 I think. Not very California!!

I have a lot to say about the last 2 days. More info in my next response.

Member #
    Liked
    228 times
    Some general comments:

Yes the CBR has much more top speed and power. But I wasn't really able to use it much because there were few places that I got over 120mph. Actually I think only going over the hill after the start/finish, which turns out to be a wheelie bump if you have the bottle to keep the throttle pinned. I've also seen 130+ heading into the Corkscrew on the CBR, but only about 120 on the CB.

The CB has nice aftermarket suspension, and you can see it is working well from the condition of the tyres, which are Road 5s, btw. More about those soon, and pictures too..

The CBR has stock suspension. For those who don't know, I'm a fat bastard, running at 260 pounds, or about 18.5 stones *without* gear. So the front suspension in particular is too soft and I have to brake a bit gently. But then the ABS was a bit intrusive on the CB, so I was similarly gentle on the brakes. Let's call that even.

I was running Michelin Power Cup Evos on the CBR, which are basically grooved slicks. I didn't get suspension or tyre pressures properly set, and that affected tyre performance and my confidence. Again, pictures later.

I elected to run the CB in mornings and CBR in afternoon, rather than switching back and forth. That should have given me 6 sessions on the CB and 8 on the CBR, but red flags etc cut that to 5 and 6. But the temperature never got above 60 in the morning sessions, so the CBR had the advantage of a warmer track with sun shining on it.

I only recorded lap times once yesterday, and that gave me a 155 on the CBR final session.

I matched that pace 2nd session this morning on the CB. I put that down to learning the track and having good lines and confidence on the CB. I didn't get a 3rd run on the CB due to black flag (someone fell and was badly injured).

My best time on the CBR was ultimately 1.51.5, but the app I was using claimed my optimal pace was 1.47.5. B group was busier today and made it hard to get clean runs.

So my conclusion: my CB is well set up and if I had ridden only that bike, I'd easily get under 1:50. My CBR is definitely quicker, but it is also much harder for me to ride fast: I use more energy. If I get the CBR suspension sorted as well as the CB, I'm sure I could get well under 1:50 and probaby under 1:45.

Most riders here are just ordinary riders. Anyone wanting a quick track bike would do fine with either of these bikes. An A rider could get a decent A pace with a well suspended CB. But not with stock suspension unless he/she is a whippet.

Sorry for the long post. Happy to answer questions..
    Last edited by BigOne-94-14; 07-04-2019 at 10:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links