Who's ridden new vs old? This dyno chart really makes the 1st gen look far superior. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MachRider View Post
    My USDM 2012 CB1000R was never much of a monster, but the NSC looks to be weaker... nearly EVERYWHERE? Maybe after exhaust and PC it wakes up. Word around my group to those who've ridden it is the Throttle by Wire is very... upsetting. Shame, because I think it's a rather pretty bike.

Who's ridden the new one extensively and compare?

Here is a dynograph from an europan model:

Looks like the power output on the us model is restricted.
    The yamaha mt10 is also restricted the usa.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Liked
    813 times
    The press hated the original CB1R exactly because of its smooth turbine power - they said it was boring and lacked character. They then raved about the MT10 which has nothing below 3k and a big boost in power at 5k which makes it silly to ride.

I’m pretty shocked by the results coming through on the new CB1Rs power - although basically it is the same bike as the Mk1 updated and restyled.

It seems like Honda have tried to make the CB feel like it has a ‘top end rush’ - for me the Mk1 was a very sorted bike and just the handling needed sorting if you wanted to push. Again I was surprised that they effectively used a pretty budget suspension spec on their ‘premium’ naked.

I know a lot of riders like the bike because it is exactly the kind of thing they are looking for style wise, but the Mk1 enjoyed a lot of subscription from high mileage tourers, Street riders and also fun loving ‘hooligans’! It was a versatile steed.

Personally I was hoping for a refined 150bhp new blade derived machine that offered something similar with modern electronics and sporty styling - but we got the NSC.

I’m still hopeful that Honda (and Suzuki) will come up with a more focused naked bike moving forward based on later engines.

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    A really good test would be to get the early and later models up against one another.

To be fair the riders would also have to swap bikes to get a more accurate result.

All very well looking at these charts all the time but that's not a real comparison.
    Personal Disclaimer:
    My thoughts are intended to provide a sounding board for your own.
    Some of what I say may go against your own thoughts and may seem harsh, targeted and malicious.
    This is not my intention – I am simply using my experience, including other peoples, as a way of debating and giving advice - of which there is no guarantee that it's correct

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
    A really good test would be to get the early and later models up against one another.

To be fair the riders would also have to swap bikes to get a more accurate result.

All very well looking at these charts all the time but that's not a real comparison.
    I will have done this by the end of the week! A coworker of mine is riding one this week. I've got a shootout planned

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas View Post
    Neither do i 🙂

The advantage to this sort of tuning, apart from the biggie of being able to sell to Euro4 markets.... Is that it broadens Hondas market to those that don't need or want the full litrebike experience...
    Ie, less experienced or capable riders that still want a good looking big bike?
    But with enough power up top to still be fun when you want to, and to grow into.

There are better more powerful naked litre bikes already, why would Honda try to go head to head with them?
    Only thing I take issue with is if there are customers who want a Honda without the litre bike power, they have the CB300R, CB500F and CB650F, all of which offer similar styling at 30, 45 and 85hp intervals.

Member #
    Fair enough.

What else would Honda need to do to the bike to make it actually compete in the market with the Tuono, SuperDuke, and S1000R, with a similar ticket price?

Or have Honda decided to not compete with them, and carve out their own market niche?

Member #
    Liked
    228 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas View Post

Or have Honda decided to not compete with them, and carve out their own market niche?

this: Neo sports Cafe.

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MachRider View Post
    I will have done this by the end of the week! A coworker of mine is riding one this week. I've got a shootout planned
    Take care--------------Looking forward to the result.----
    Personal Disclaimer:
    My thoughts are intended to provide a sounding board for your own.
    Some of what I say may go against your own thoughts and may seem harsh, targeted and malicious.
    This is not my intention – I am simply using my experience, including other peoples, as a way of debating and giving advice - of which there is no guarantee that it's correct

Member #
    Hi, new in the forum.
    I have a 2013 model and looking to buy the new for Canada 2019 model. I simply love my 2013. I could easily do over 500KMs in a morning ride without any pains. Just a big smile on my face that doesn’t want to go away at the end.

Simple question, nothing to do with performance. How is the ride of the NSC compare to the MK1? I am a 65 years old, 6’3”, 220 lbs gorilla and I feel comfortable on the MK1. Not pushing the bike to the limit all the time, but I like to see front wheel hovering over the ground once a while. I feel that the rider position on the NSC is more stretched due to a lower handle bar. This could be the deal breaker.
    Comments?

Member #
    Liked
    228 times
    I don't personally feel much difference. The footpegs feel a little higher maybe.

I did 27,000+++ miles on my 2014 model, with many days of several hours and hundreds of miles. I've done an 8 hour day on the 2018 bike and I don't really notice any difference in how the bikes feel to me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links