This Week's MCN
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This Week's MCN

Member #
    Liked
    150 times

This Week's MCN

Scanning through this weeks MCN I see that they've pitted an ABS CB1000R against a Speed Triple and the new BMW K1300R naked. I haven't read it properly but they do say that the ABS brakes don't have the bite of the non-ABS, so it seems harsh pitting it against the Speed Triple, which has Brembo radial callipers on it. I can't understand why any dealer (or Honda) thought it was a good idea to provide that bike.

Anyway, the verdict says that they all win. The Honda because it's just so much fun and easy to ride, the Triumph because it's a hooligan, and the BMW because of the power (it's a 1300 inline 4 remember).

After the slating (we think, after translating) that Trevor Franklin gave the CB1000R when it hit the roads, I was surprised to (scan) read a positive MCN review about the CB1000R. Interesting that they're not punting the Speed Triple as the be-all and end-all of super nakeds any more too.

In slightly related news, they also tested the ABS Blade against a normal Blade, with members of the public riding, and found that they were stopping over 14 meters quicker on the ABS bike. Bear in mind that the callipers are exactly the same as the ones on the non-ABS CB1000R, but with the added assistance of Honda's ABS and eCBS system. I for one hope that Honda replace the current CB1000R ABS brakes with this same system in the next couple of years

Member #

Re: This Week's MCN

14 meters quicker from what speed?
    I fought the law and the law won! (Bastards)

Member #
    Liked
    150 times

Don't know, didn't read the article, just scanned some of the image captions. I'll read it properly later

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

All the Demo bikes are ABS. If they just got one from a dealer for the test it would have been the ABS version.

They sit on the fence and like all 3 for different but the Honda is rated best for handling

Member #

Like most road tests you have to read more between the lines than what's in them!
    CB1K certainly came out tops on this test in my mind, the most easiest to ride as Ant points out, which is what you want when on the Cat & Fiddle Road! Interesting comment on the Triumph being fazed on tight 2nd gear corners! Thought it was touted as the dogs whatnot in the handling dept!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Yeah i wondered how they didn't rate it higher from what they wrote about it.
    Only equal with the other two but out handles the Triumph and at least matches the engine of the BMW.
    That'll be a win then.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit
    Like most road tests you have to read more between the lines than what's in them!
    CB1K certainly came out tops on this test in my mind, the most easiest to ride as Ant points out, which is what you want when on the Cat & Fiddle Road! Interesting comment on the Triumph being fazed on tight 2nd gear corners! Thought it was touted as the dogs whatnot in the handling dept!
    Test rode the triple after i did the CB,,, IMO the honda beat it in to many areas to make it a contender for me, best 2 things about the speed is 1, looks, BUT thats in the eye of the beholder,, 2, the engine, it sounds great, esp on the overrun,,, but now I've changed my can it dont matter...

Member #
    Liked
    150 times

I don't think MCN will ever let the CB1000R win against anything; not after the original review, which we all know was crap (sorry Trev)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Antnee
    I don't think MCN will ever let the CB1000R win against anything; not after the original review, which we all know was crap (sorry Trev)
    Don't think MCN will ever let the Speed Triple lose to anything Japanese either.
    Ride safe
    /hass

Back on two wheels!

Member #
    Liked
    150 times

Agreed

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links