cracnk case breather full of oil - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member #
    Evening all,

OK so I removed the oil filler cap let it run and kept checking the oil level in the process.

There was a gentle blow from the bottom end which was as previously said would happen - no suction which is good!

Now I seem to have gained oil.. I assume it was an air bubble somewhere and it made it look empty but on level ground it's 5/6ths between top and bottom lines.

Touch wood it seems to have corrected the problems.. I'm hoping, the little plastic tube seems clear now.

Is 5k alot for a 11 plate? It's slightly under like 4700 odd,

Again thank you all for your suggestions I hope I don't have to post in here again!

Cheers,

D

Member #
    Liked
    153 times
    Nope, 5k for a 4 year old bike is not a lot which is why i was surprised at the issues you were having, good luck with it and i hope this has solved it.

Member #
    Liked
    764 times
    You never did say how you are checking the oil.

At the risk of insulting your mechanical knowledge....

Oil Level Check Procedure
    1. Warm the engine.
    2. Shut it off.
    3. Wait 2 minutes.
    4. Stand the bike upright, it CANNOT be on the sidestand when checking oil level.
    5. Look at the sight glass and make sure the oil level is somewhere between the two lines. The upper line is the full mark, the lower line is the add mark.
    "I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal. People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

My Bike

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Hudson not a problem just curious if there has been known problems with the age etc, always hard to tell context over messages but always welcome any comments,

Deluth no insult taken what so ever! I've known of people talking about different ways of doing simple tasks and yet they vary so at least we are all on the same page, I didn't let it settle for two mins in all fairness! So tomorrow I will have another go and update!

Breather pipe is coming off tomorrow as well! Check that properly! Also may put the bike back to standard (pipe, decat and filter)

I'll update results, cheers guys much appreciated!

Member #
    Liked
    153 times
    No problem, i can simply not imagine a bike of 4 years old with such low miles having issues like this, i have come accross the old Honda Blackbirds who are no knocking on 20 years old, some with 200,000 miles and still going !!! 5k..... and 4 years ! If there were any know issues with these Honda engines having just covering those miles then i would be REALLY worried for Honda's future sales.

Member #
    afternoon guys,

I can totally agree with you Hudson, i know i read somewhere they split a CBR6 engine after covering 200k miles and it was like brand new inside! Honda dont make crap, slightly outdated yes - crap no!

Ok so I have been mega busy today;

1)put exhaust,cat and filter back to standard (soo quiet)
    2) reset ECU
    3) stipped the bike down and inspected all the breathers;
    a) the crackcase breather was full of water and milky watery gunk (oil + water) so that got a full cleaning and dry out.
    4)charged the battery
    5)checked the oil as per Deluths instructions

It rides totally different, i wouldnt recommend changing so much at one go as i wont know whats made the difference but if its standard and had a decent cleaning and service it will be easier to diagnose future issues.

The breather drain is now clear and has been for a week or so, I will update if i have any more problems, I can only assume the breather was blocked causing the bike to choke and splutter oil, also potential air pocket in the oil window could have made it look like no oil was in the bike when really it was potentially 6/8th full on the glass.

Either way thank you all for your help and suggestions on this! It gave me more options and potential problem areas to look into!

Many thanks,

Dave.

Member #
    Liked
    764 times
    Glad you got it sorted.
    "I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal. People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

My Bike

Member #
    Liked
    244 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DELuth View Post
    Glad you got it sorted.
    ^^^ what he said!
    piling the mileage on...

Member #
    OK so the problem has reared it's ugly head again, it's now running incredibly rough and appears to be filling up the breather pipe not with oil as I originally suspected but condensation. It looks like a beer type colour and has a watery consistency.

I have to now empty the little plastic tube on a daily basis and pull the crankcase breather pipe off the head to let it drain a few teaspoons worth of condensation.

I'm not loosing any coolant! That's the weird thing - it's going to dobles soon and they can do their expert bit!

Updates as and when it's cured. Sad face.

Member #
    Liked
    153 times
    I think given what you have already seen and done its time for it to '' go in '' and see if the ' experts ' can sort it out. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links