Tire advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire advice

Member #
    Liked
    20 times

Tire advice

So its finally safe for me to go into the garage again after picking up a nail in the rear tire a few days from new. I looked at the nail and it has gone in sideways like a splinter, not stabbed through like a knife puncture. The nail looked to be a millimeter or two below the surface of the tire. I removed the nail and the tire is holding pressure. I have a new tire on order, but am I safe to ride until it gets here?

Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    OMG, if it's holding air ride the damn thing!

Member #
    Liked
    344 times
    Replace the nail. You never know when you might need one.
    'War is god's way of teaching Americans geography.' Ambrose Bierce

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    244 times
    front or rear? (I'd be more concerned about the front than the rear) centre, shoulder, or sidewall? ( the tread portions are pretty well backed by cord; sidewalls less so)
    you say you've ordered a new tire, so haven't you sorta answered your own question? you're not confident in the tire for the future, so it'd be logical to avoid riding it at present too...
    piling the mileage on...

Member #
    Liked
    764 times
    Wait a minute, you haven't even been out to the garage since the puncture? You haven't ridden the poor thing for over 2 months?? Maybe you just sell it?

I haven't ridden mine in two days because of rain. I went into the garage to get something earlier and I swear the bike is pouting and giving me dirty looks!
    "I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal. People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

My Bike

Member #
    Liked
    337 times
    so are you saying the nail did or didn't puncture the carcase?

If it didn't go through the carcase then just ride it as little cuts etc. happen all the time and make no difference.

Member #
    Liked
    1533 times
    And it's a tyre not a tire

Member #
    Liked
    151 times
    Or is it a slightly tired tyre............

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Thanks for the advice. I do not believe that the carcass of the rear tire was penetrated by the nail. I am not that familiar with motorcycle tire construction or the loads the tires typically see. I wouldn't think twice about using the tire if it were on a car. I have changed aircraft tires for less damage than what my rear tire has. I wanted to make sure I wasn't pulling a big no no by riding.

DELuth, I charged the battery once or twice and topped off the tank. I am still pissed at myself for finding that nail but $hit happens. I also had some shoulder issues. I was prepared to scrap the riding season for surgery. Fortunately I do not require surgery. The general pain is gone and the strength is returning with the therapy.

Mr. Nice,
    I was forced to analyze the tire situation with the utmost scrutiny. Organizing the opinions of those on this forum that I idolize was an important step for me to finalize my decision to utilize my CB. Thank you for helping me realize that I am in fact safe to operate, a few liters of fuel and I will be off. We could categorize the damage to the rear tire is purely aesthetic? I do appreciate your favorable feedback to my concern about the rear tire.

Member #
    Liked
    1533 times
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer0071 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I do not believe that the carcass of the rear tire was penetrated by the nail. I am not that familiar with motorcycle tire construction or the loads the tires typically see. I wouldn't think twice about using the tire if it were on a car. I have changed aircraft tires for less damage than what my rear tire has. I wanted to make sure I wasn't pulling a big no no by riding.

DELuth, I charged the battery once or twice and topped off the tank. I am still pissed at myself for finding that nail but $hit happens. I also had some shoulder issues. I was prepared to scrap the riding season for surgery. Fortunately I do not require surgery. The general pain is gone and the strength is returning with the therapy.

Mr. Nice,
    I was forced to analyze the tire situation with the utmost scrutiny. Organizing the opinions of those on this forum that I idolize was an important step for me to finalize my decision to utilize my CB. Thank you for helping me realize that I am in fact safe to operate, a few liters of fuel and I will be off. We could categorize the damage to the rear tire is purely aesthetic? I do appreciate your favorable feedback to my concern about the rear tire.

Storm in a tea cup son .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links