R I P Simoncelli

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tbutera2112 View Post
    6th is fastest 0-60

Attachment 21084
    Personal Disclaimer:
    My thoughts are intended to provide a sounding board for your own.
    Some of what I say may go against your own thoughts and may seem harsh, targeted and malicious.
    This is not my intention – I am simply using my experience, including other peoples, as a way of debating and giving advice - of which there is no guarantee that it's correct

Member #
    Liked
    813 times
    if it's a thrashing contest just pan it in first !!! - 60 will hit you as fast the clocks hit your eyeballs ... second will just make a load of noise as you burn the clutch out !

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I've not done either lol .
    Just had a crazy idea that second would get the power down quicker.
    Nice bike also :-)

Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    anyone who has really tried both, and experimented with something of this nature, will know what a talented professional can do, or should do.
    All it takes is a couple weekend visits to the drags to see, and it becomes painfully clear.

The only reason one would try to launch in second, is to remove the immediate shift into second, which takes time.
    How much time? that depends on how talented you are, and accomplished a rider you are.
    (this is where all the silly knuckleheads come in to post pictures because they cant type)

A quick shifter kit, that kills the ignition, when yanking the shift lever, removes the need for any clutch work, and with some experimentation, without throttle lift.

This assumes one launches from a standing start (some think 0-60 is actually a roll on from about 20 mph), where dumping the clutch is best if using first, then quickly banging second.
    The other approach, is to slip the clutch as you leave in second, then dump it, all the while trying not to let the wheel up, which only slows you down, because you either lift, or clutch, both slow you.

Repeated starts, lets one practice their launch.
    some things quickly become obvious.
    A full tank of gas, makes the bike heavier, and easier to launch if your either dumping the clutch or fanning it.
    chaining the front wheel down, makes it lift soon, also improving launch. (mx bikes have this feature, which dis-engage after the wheel first touches down)

Anyone who has hammered their CB1000R, stock or modified, quickly realizes that you immediately need to shift, bang-bang-bang or else the revs are into the limiter and duh-duh-duh, you are late to shift.

so an honest answer, 1st or 2nd, depends on how 'good' you are.
    you might be better off launching with a slipping clutch, this eliminates the frantic action when the bike suddenly goes sideways, and if you quickly off throttle you are into a high side or diagonally off the road.
    or, simply, ensuring the launch is straight, dropping the clutch, and aiming straight, hopefully that when you pull your left foot up to shift, it gets to the shifter in time before you hit the rev limiter, and not disrupt the balance of the launch, pushing the bike to one side, then overcorrecting so easy to do.

so it seems, when I try and post honest answers such as above, theres a multitude of "I don't have any problems", "I'm so good, I'm perfect", but that makes me wonder if they have ever indeed really launched, with sincerity?

At first, the question, is 1st or 2nd better in 0-60, seems so simple to answer, but in all honesty, I would love to meet up with all of you at the drags one day,
    each have some time for practice, do our thing, and then compare time slips.

I wonder if those that talk the talk, are that good.
    I know my limits, and I am an amateur at it.
    my 1/4 turn throttle would be an advantage if you did not have one, and I would start with a full tank.

how would you seriously approach it.
    with goofy pictures of some funny faced child,
    or really. how do you launch?

have you ever been to the drags, what was your best?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links