what size rear tire do you use?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    176 times

what size rear tire do you use?

180/55, 190/50, or 190/55

just curious, my service guy put on 190/50 instead of 55 which was on the bike previously (dunlop Q2's)

wondering if i'll feel the difference

appreciate any responses and opinions, i ride canyons/track mostly on this bike. not a commuter bike for me :-)

Member #
    I'd like to see a picture of the 190 mounted, specifically a rear eye level shot. Just when you get time, thanks!
    "Skin that smokewagon, see what happens!"

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    oe size, because the honda boffins thought that was a good idea if they thought that was a good size then who am i to disagree ?
    previous bikes :
    honda mtx 125
    honda ns 400 r
    suzuki gsxr 750
    kawasaki zxr 750
    ktm 950sm
    ktm 990sm
    ktm superduke R
    Aprilia V4R Tuono
    current bikes:
    CB 1000R
    KTM 950 SM
    KTM 1290 SDR

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    well bermo, there is room for change in regards to tires. you're right, the engineers at honda know what they're doing no doubt, but the CB is a bike that gets ridden in lots of different ways (touring, commuting, canyons, track, etc) and that's why the tire companies make different sizes and types depending on your riding habits. for me, the CB is more of a track/canyon bike than a tourer/commuter. so i tried the 190/55 rear and loved the stability and big contact at lean angles. my service guy put on the 190/50, not sure why other than to be closer to the OE size, and i have not ridden it much yet on this tire but i loved the 190/55 so i guess we'll see. i was just looking to see what other CB owners use and why

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    I was lead to believe that sqeezing a 190 on a 5.5 inch rim would actualy reduce the contact patch but not sure ? Anyone know different ? Thought it needed a 6 inch rim ideally

Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Markcb1000r View Post
    I was lead to believe that sqeezing a 190 on a 5.5 inch rim would actualy reduce the contact patch but not sure ? Anyone know different ? Thought it needed a 6 inch rim ideally
    well on dunlops site the 5.5 inc rim is recommended for 180 but 190 would be "acceptable" according to them, so i guess it's a choice

oem was 180, changed those pretty quickly as i'm not a bridgestone fan, went to 190/55 and loved them, my service guy put on 190/50 and i'm not sure since i have not ridden them yet but will a ton this weekend and will report back, but wanted ot know what others use and their experiences/differences, etc

Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rebobd View Post
    well on dunlops site the 5.5 inc rim is recommended for 180 but 190 would be "acceptable" according to them, so i guess it's a choice

oem was 180, changed those pretty quickly as i'm not a bridgestone fan, went to 190/55 and loved them, my service guy put on 190/50 and i'm not sure since i have not ridden them yet but will a ton this weekend and will report back, but wanted ot know what others use and their experiences/differences, etc
    ok, since very few of you seem to be interested in the rear tire size discussion, i'll see how it rides and maybe report back. maybe there's less enthusiasm for this subject because i'm american and this forum seems to be heavily populated by brits

ciao!

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    ok, since very few of you seem to be interested in the rear tire size discussion, i'll see how it rides and maybe report back. maybe there's less enthusiasm for this subject because i'm american and this forum seems to be heavily populated by brits

ciao!
    I guess cos tracks in canyons are usually banned and I think we've pretty well run out of canyons.
    Personal Disclaimer:
    My thoughts are intended to provide a sounding board for your own.
    Some of what I say may go against your own thoughts and may seem harsh, targeted and malicious.
    This is not my intention – I am simply using my experience, including other peoples, as a way of debating and giving advice - of which there is no guarantee that it's correct

Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    sorry, track days AND canyon riding. mutually exclusive geography. at least i THINK that's what you meant. translation may get murky over the ocean. we speak the same language no? kinda at least :-)))

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

ciao!
    sorry but i lol when i read this !! i'm also on the aprilia forum which is 98% yank and i have never felt that way imho the tyre debate has a lot to do with how , where you ride ie freeways , mountain roads etc i prefer the standard tyre size because it turns in quicker and where i live the roads require that , and since i have no intention of going near a track day i'll stick with what i've got cheers
    previous bikes :
    honda mtx 125
    honda ns 400 r
    suzuki gsxr 750
    kawasaki zxr 750
    ktm 950sm
    ktm 990sm
    ktm superduke R
    Aprilia V4R Tuono
    current bikes:
    CB 1000R
    KTM 950 SM