HondaCB1000r.com the premier Honda CB1000R Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Member #

Hyper Pro Steering Damper

Fitted one of these recently and followed the instructions, checked and double checked. Its not hard to fit as you get detailed written instructions and a detailed diagram.

Went out on the bike and after about 20 mins the bike started veering over to one side of the road which scared the shit out of me. Straight away I thought I had a rear puncture and pulled over, got off bike and checked everything but all seemed well. Checked the steering and it was very light so thought no problem with the damper.

Set off again and same thing happened so pulled over and had another good look around and then I noticed some gauge marks on the damper bracket where the steering damper had been rubbing against it. Seem very strange as at a standstill the steering was free and easy but once you start riding it rubs.

I've taken it all off and installed it again but its still the same and I don't know whats going on. Can anyone who's fitted one of these tell me how much clearance you have between the bottom of the damper and the tank bracket or tell me what I'm doing wrong?
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    I fought the law and the law won! (Bastards)

Member #

Re: Hyper Pro Steering Damper

just thinking ,the front of the handlebar clamp is it higher than the back ,i mean the gap between faces? ,the reason i ask is it may be tipped back somewhat and this lowers the bar mount. and pressure on it whilst driving will make it bend down a bit more too.

gedspeed

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by gedspeed
    just thinking ,the front of the handlebar clamp is it higher than the back ,i mean the gap between faces? ,the reason i ask is it may be tipped back somewhat and this lowers the bar mount. and pressure on it whilst driving will make it bend down a bit more too.
    gedspeed
    Just thought whilst reading your post, I've changed my bars to Rizomas, maybe the diameter of them is smaller than the standard ones resulting in the top bar clamp sitting slightly lower than it otherwise would???

Member #
    Liked
    72 times

I wondered if it was because when you fitted the brace, that you tightened down the bolts nearest to the rider, before the ones nearest to the clocks. That would tip it to point downward a little more, if that makes sense?
    Claim your HondaCB1000R.com discount. Make at least one post and join the Discount group and you'll get your membership number and access to the growing list of available discounts

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Antnee
    I wondered if it was because when you fitted the brace, that you tightened down the bolts nearest to the rider, before the ones nearest to the clocks. That would tip it to point downward a little more, if that makes sense?
    Yeh I looked at that when I installed it and both sides (front and back) of the clamp are right down against the bottom clamp. I can't remember if they are like this with the standard bars or there's a bit of a gap between them.

Maybe I'll just have to try a washer on the underside of the top damper bracket which will raisie it a wee bit.

Member #
    Liked
    72 times

They shouldn't be flush, because if they are they may not be clamping the bar properly, if you know what I mean. The bars may need a shim
    Claim your HondaCB1000R.com discount. Make at least one post and join the Discount group and you'll get your membership number and access to the growing list of available discounts

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Looked at youre pictures and noteced the paint of at youre bracked on top.
    When i put mine on i had a clearance problem up there to.
    The Damper was hitting the braked and had to twist the top bit a bit towards the tank.

Dit you juse a Tork wrench ,because the bold's have to be tighter than you mit think.
    Whiles fitting my own i didn't tighten up the Damper in its bracked enough.
    Turned the steering and the whole thing came out of the bracked.
    Also did you replace the two rings under the Tank bracked ore put them on the OEM one's.?
    I didn't know what to do so put them on extra

Got some pics of the systeem Hyperpro dit fit them self on a Dutch bike last year.

Name:  DSCF2734stuurdemper.JPG
Views: 421
Size:  61.7 KB

I stil have to go for a test drive.

Member #

Maybe it is because I have fitted different handlebars, if you look at these 2 pictures the clearance of the bar clamps is narrower on mine.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

I thought you Damper has beein hitting the steering bracked otherwise you wouldn't have the paint come of on that spot.

I seen it on mine that it was hitting over there so turned the Damper a bit.

Member #

No thats not the problem.

The problem is when I'm riding the bike the bottom of the damper clamp/bracket rubs on the top of the tank bracket and you can't control the bike.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ads