H.I.D. install
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H.I.D. install

Member #

H.I.D. install

I have had my bike two weeks and thought I would start upgrading a few things. I did a search for HID installs on the cb1000r, but I didnt really find any good info. My concern was with no fairings and the head light moving with the steering where can everything be mounted. Well I installed them last night while taking a few pics so that it will be easier for others to do

i started by removing the driver and passenger seat, then i removed the triangle air box, subframe covers, the fuel tank, and the headlight assembly. the seat and tank are pretty simple bits to remove. the headlight assembly has one 5mm allen bolt per side near the lower triple clamp, once those are removed the entire assembly will slide up and off. it will be easier if you remove the two push clips holding the front cowl on(the cowl will just slide up and off at the point)

The HID kit i purchased was a H4 lo/hi kit from DDMtuning. i have used about 15 of their kits and never had any issues, so i trust their product. i also bought a bulb extension harness from ebay for about $5.

this is where i mounted the hi/lo relay can be mounted with double stick tape or velcro. the harness coming from this relay has a power,ground,power out to balast, hi beam switch wire,turn on signal wires which is a pigtail that plugs into the factory headlight bulb plug. the wires going from the relay to the factory pigtaill will need to be extended around 3 feet.

this is where i mounted the ballast, again with velcro or double stick tape

here you can see some of the wire routing. the power,the ground, how the wires leading to the front are routed through the subframe, the red,blue wires on the left are going to the hid bulb extension harness

this shows i routed the wires along the factory harness to the front of the bike

at the top of this pic you can see the factory bulb plug and the new pigtail harness

Member #

back of the bulb, pretty simple to remove...

notice the bulb on the right has a light reflector on the back of the bulb, notice the width. i had the trim the bulb reflector on the left to allow it to fit into the headlight housing.

the next steps are to make sure everything is tied up out of the way and connected, then start hanging parts back on the bike, then test the new lights

hope this helps for people thinking about upgrading their bikes lighting, if anyone has any questions about any of this ill be glad to help.

Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    brilliant post mate!

Whiteout (my bike)

PS125, CBF600, Hornet 600, CB1000R
    "its like a hornet on 'roids!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    111 times
    I second that,Great post and great pics..I have recently been researching this conversion myself..It did seem a little too much hassle for the results, but your post makes it look easy and has me interested again..I ended up changing my bulb for a newer 5000K bright white(blue vision) one..Which is a big improvement but still not as impressive as the HID conversion..
    In your pics,you have 2 bulbs to show the one trimmed..How come you have 2 bulbs?Did your kit come with 2 bulbs?
    Also is there an increase or decrease in heat emitted from the bulb?.Obviously it is ok to use with our headlight casing..
    Was that the only two issues? : Trimming the bulb reflector and extending the wiring harness..

Member #
    yes.it fairly a straight forward install, just take your time and.make sure all connections are secure. yes, extending the harness and trimming the bulb reflector were the only real issues. but they were very eeasy problems to solve. pulling the tank off by yourself can be a little tricky, also reinstalling the headlamp assembly with the additional wires isn't difficult but you do have to adjust the wiring for it all to fit nicely, but that's not difficult just pay attention.
    yes I had two bulbs because I bought the kit for a car I had ,but I sold the car before I installed the hid kit.
    the kits I buy are 35watt 5000k I have not noticed any abnormal heating. heat seems pretty standard compared to standard light. I have heard of people using 55watt kits and melting their lens, so I stick with the 35watt kits

Member #
    the bulb reflector actually screws onto the bulb . I removed it to trim it so that I was able to not accidentally touch the bulb.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    How did you extended the harness? What do I need? Mine is also too short..

Thanks a lot!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnoud View Post
    How did you extended the harness? What do I need? Mine is also too short..

Thanks a lot!
    he stated ebay....but I found this off of Amazon, I'm sure ebay is cheaper but I no longer deal with them or Paypal and have Amazon 2-day shipping. Amazon.com: Amico Motorcycle HID Xenon Bulb Ballast High Voltage Extension Wire Harness: Automotive

I will be buying the DDM Tuning Motorcycle Hi/Lo kit probably this week and then will follow this guide. I'll also take photos etc. just to give a different perspective.

Thanks for the writeup though.

Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    Lol at harness being too short.... My install went just fine with standard length, I put ballast under the tank on the side of the frame rail... It fit perfectly, like it was made to go there

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tbutera2112 View Post
    Lol at harness being too short.... My install went just fine with standard length, I put ballast under the tank on the side of the frame rail... It fit perfectly, like it was made to go there
    Interesting, I'll buy the extension and then if not needed just return it. Did you guys drill your ballast on or just zipties? I plan to go the ziptie route.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links