AdamT build thread
    Member #

AdamT build thread

So the build thread starts about a year after I got the bike. I picked it up as a 2012 with 1400 miles on it last year. Originally I was resisting the urge to do anything to the bike. With 3 kids and a wife (Read: Stuff like flowers and paint) there is always somewhere else the money can go.

The first couple things were an easy sell. LED brake light, I got a smoked one but LED lights are brighter. My commute to and from work is usually dark as I leave early and stay late. That carried over to the LED slim blinkers in the rear also. No problems from the wife.

Next was eliminating the rear foot pegs. I have only been riding for a couple years so I am ok with removing them. I replaced them with a set of the tie down hooks from SATO racing. The gold anodizing does not quite match the forks but it looks good.

After that it was the Fender eliminator. It just helps to keep it looking clean.

So here is a pic of the bike after the first summer. If you note the slight damage to the muffler and the engine case she may have been dropped in a previous life. Not while driving but probably too heavy for whoever owned it. There is tell tale scuffing on the bars, side case, and muffler. I am ok with it as the new has been worn off it so it is less for me to worry about. Just like my guns, a scratch prior to getting it makes it easier to use. Not that I am going to not take care of it, it is just easier when my 4 or 5 year old bumps into her in the garage.

Name:  cb1000r.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  1,004.7 KB

With a new summer on us, It is time to make her safer yet. Loud pipes save lives and the Texas traffic is a death race every morning. It is time to be able to let people know I am there. I run a gun business on the side of my day job and I sold off hundreds of sling swivels (used for attaching slings to rifles) that I had been sitting on for a year. Long side story but the short version is that I was flush with like a grand free and clear to burn. With that being said, I have read reviews, looked at pictures and watched hundreds of you tube videos. I have decided on a Akrapovic carbon can. If you could see it in the picture (you can not) you would see that one of the header pipes is crushed in about 1/3 of the way. Either the previous owner hit something on the road or cased it on a curb. I have no way to tell. I did find some stock, used take-off header pipes for like $150 on ebay but for a couple hundred more I could have some Arrow headers. The order for the Akra and Arrow combo was placed. Side note, The Akra muffler can be ordered with a cat delete pipe that will make it not compatible with the Arrow headers. I ordered the wrong one. Damn delays again......

I rounded out the latest upgrade with a Power commander and a air filter from BMC.

All the parts are sitting in a pile in my office. With the wrong muffler ordered I am hammering out a exchange (also a feeler in the marketplace here). Hopeful I will get it figured out in the next weekend or two.

In the mean time I went to the Honda dealer and ordered up a passenger seat delete cowl or whatever it is called. I also grabbed a fresh oil filter and oil along with new seals for the header install.

The last part of the intro to the build thread was a trip to the dyno for a stock run.
    Name:  Stock Dyno.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  352.8 KB
    You can see 111.43 hp, no torque number on this chart. The chart is in MPH for reasons I didn't understand. That was the best of 4 pulls. All within 1HP. After all the parts are installed, I am going to go back for a actual dyno tune session. The cat that does the tuning is a DynoJet master tuner. He said in about 1-2 hours she will be running top notch.

That is all for the intro, I will do my best to keep it updated as I get it sorted.

AdamT.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamt View Post
    Next was eliminating the rear foot pegs. I have only been riding for a couple years so I am ok with removing them. I replaced them with a set of the tie down hooks from SATO racing. The gold anodizing does not quite match the forks but it looks good.
    I like those racing hooks. Is anyone doing anything like this in the UK?

Member #
    Liked
    533 times
    Looks like this thread is going to grow and grow with the mods list - look forward to seeing the progress

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Honda solo seat cowl installed. I had a gift card to the dealer I got the bike from. I picked up some oil, filter, crush washer for the drain plug and the cowl.

I still have a couple bucks left on the card. I will probably use if for either some spark plugs or use it in the service department. The brake and clutch fluid could use a flush. I could probably handle it myself but it will be good to have the shop give it a once over for the summer season. I can plan that around when I install the fancy new gold chain. I was digging around under the seat, no tool kit at all. I was fixing to up the preload on the factory rear shock and was thinking the spanner would be in there. I believe it is the same one to adjust the rear hub.

Withought further wait, here are a couple pics of the cowling.

AdamT

Member #
    Got some major work done yesterday. Probably 7 hours of good work.

I got the full exhaust done. Arrow headers and Akrapovic muffler.
    BMC air filter (more on this below)
    Power commander V with base tune.
    Removed Pair valve and associated hoses. I installed block off plates on the valve cover.
    Relocated horn.
    Removed evap canister, purge valve and routed tank vent to atmosphere. Also removed the cross bracket that held canister.
    Installed shorty leavers, new headlight bulb and flush mount front indicators.
    Installed new gold chain.
    Changed oil and filter.

All in all the work went good. I ran into a slight delay in the end when it was time to adjust the chain slack. I didn't have the spanner to adjust the hub, the local Honda dealer had one but it was locked in a guys tool box. I ended up doing it like a farmer with a hammer and a flat screw driver. That worked good enough. I did however end up braking the bolt off for the rear chain guard. I just zip tied the cover to the brake line. That is a problem for another year.

After all of that I went to start it and it would idle fine. The check engine light was on, it would rev to about 4k then stubble. On a fast crack of the throttle it would die. A test drive found it would not go over 30mph. Ultimately after checking everything over I noted the PCV not powered up. A check of the connector on the throttle position sensor noted a loose pin. Easy enough to reset the pin in the connector, problem solved.

Driving impressions were great. It is like a new bike. It is not as loud as I thought it would be but it sure does sound good. I plan on getting it to the Honda dealer in a week or two for a brake and clutch fluid flush and a general check over. Then it is off to the dyno for a custom tune and final power reading.

A note on the air filter. I did a ton of reading on air filters prior to ordering all my parts. It was a toss up of BMC vs stock vs K&N. The bike only has 3000 miles on it but it is a 2012. I was close to saving the 80 bucks and just keeping the stock filter but I ended up ordering the BMC. I am glad I did. When I removed the stock filter I noticed some plastic inside the filter. Upon closer inspection there was a damn mouse nest in there. The filter was 1/2 filled with plastic bits, mouse scat and chewed up filter bits. It actually left a bunch of paper crumbs that had passed through the filter and was laying inside the air box. I guess in the 4 years that the bike only had 1500 miles a mouse made him a home. It might be worth putting your eyes on your filters every once in a while.

I'll get some pics up in a couple days. I am off for a ride. It is a perfect 73F with clear skies and no wind.

AdamT

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Just realized I can log I to tapatalk and upload pictures. (New phone with 100 logins to remember)

Here is the block off plates and filter pics.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    813 times
    Great thread Adam - keep us all updated !

Sponsored Links