RideRed's Bike - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RideRed's Bike

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartoon View Post
    Do you have any input on the 2 different ohlins rear shocks they offer? I see you have the non reservoir model which im planning on getting.

Any recommendations?

6' 230lbs

Also i noticed your license plate is bent do you ever hit it with the rear tire?

Thanks
    I hit the plate once when I still had on the original shock. I keep it bent up just incase.

I'm sure the higher end ohlins is superior to the one I have but for my street ride and even some intermediate trackdays the lower end version has proved to be a huge upgrade over stock.

I'm about the same size as you. We way over load the oem rear. Once it's set to your weight it's a whole new bike.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RideRed; 05-09-2016 at 06:38 PM.

Member #
    thats what i thought.

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    813 times
    If you need a bit more info there are two Ohlins street shocks for the CB :

H808 - piston diam 46mm, Mono-tube design with external reservoir, Adjustable Rebound, Adjustable Compression, Hose mounted hydraulic Spring Pre load adjuster

H009 - piston diameter 46mm, Mono-tube design with internal reservoir, Adjustable Rebound

The H808 gives you full flexibility and adjustment although you have to mount the reservoir and adjuster under your tail unit.

The H009 is nearly half the price of the 808, but nowhere near half the performance and is really good value

There are other capable options such as Maxton / Nitron etc who pitch some of their fully adjustable units (on price at least) at somewhere between the two Ohlins items.

I've run the H009 for about 16,000 miles now - it's great and a big improvement over stock - It can be officially serviced (as can other custom shock brands) which means these shocks can last a very long time indeed. They are also very re-sellable !

I picked the H009 as I had a stage one road upgrade on the front forks (Ohlins springs and revalve) - personally I think the front on the CB is really good from stock, but would probably recommend doing the rear shock and a front end upgrade together. I found it was well balanced and nicely sync'd after this work and a set up.

Hope that helps !
    Last edited by sovrec; 05-10-2016 at 02:08 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    228 times
    FYI, since I am so big, i was able to bottom the stock forks, especially when braking over bumps. Can't bottom them now with the spring and valve upgrade.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BigOne-94-14 View Post
    FYI, since I am so big, i was able to bottom the stock forks, especially when braking over bumps. Can't bottom them now with the spring and valve upgrade.
    yea i bottom out the front and the rear. I really need to fix that and get a corbin seat.

Member #
    Liked
    244 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigOne-94-14 View Post
    dude, you don't hafta be big. I used to fully bottom out my stocker forks on track days, right to the soft stops. and pretty nearly on spirited street riding too. ( slip a zip tie around the fork to measure how deep in the stroke you run. full travel is 120mm. typical static preload is 30-45mm. that gives only 75-90mm travel.) as I say, I used to bottom out the stock shock; now I run 5-10mm short of the stop on hardest braking, with rebuilt forks. I'm only 185 lbs, btw... the OEMs are decent, but not up to hard riding!)
    piling the mileage on...

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Not posting her yet. I truly love this bike. I'm just to the point I can't justify 2 bikes taking up room and collecting dust and would like one that could do both (ttack days and light sport touring) as well as a little more excitement. 2017 will probably be my last year on a Honda. The 1000rr is going back to street trim and up for sale in the spring. I'm going to try and keep the cb to ride for the remainder of the season. But if anyone knows someone looking for a well sorted CB on the eastern side of the US point them this way. I'm saving up for a 2017 super duke.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RideRed; 12-27-2016 at 01:45 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links