Forum newbie - bit wordy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

Forum newbie - bit wordy

Hi, I currently own a CB600FA Hornet which I've had for about 8 months and this is my first bike as I'm my late 20's but new to riding. I think it's a great bike but think I've found a new love.

Had my Hornet in for the 4000 mile service on sat, earlier in the week had spoken to the dealership and asked if I could take the CB1000R for a demo ride. Upon arrival was told that I could have the bike till 12.30 which gave me a good 3 and half hours on the bike.

Since going out on the bike I've been scanning the forums to get some more info before making a decision about upgrading my Hornet to the CB100R. From reading the posts, appears that there are a few members on here that are also on the Hornets nest. I've put a post on there also for opinions/views/good and bad stories so I'm well clued up before making the leap. Now not expecting any one to say don't do it as it's a an owners forum but would appreciate any words of advice and thought I'd get a better response on here.

It's a bit wordy so have chopped it down a bit.

First impressions.

I liked the aggressive look, fired the bike up and with the BOS exhaust had a nice meaty sound although not one of the best looking exhausts out there. First reactions were the seat doesn't feel as comfortable as the hornet and the riding position leans you forward more into the tank. Noticeably different but soon got used to it after a few miles. My other first impression was that the switch gear feels and looks a bit cheap

Now....in my limited riding experience I'd pre-conceived that it would feel bit of a beast, heavy and difficult to ride at low speeds. In reality it felt lighter than the hornet and easy to ride, went exactly where I wanted to go with ease. Was effortless at low speeds, there wasn’t that feeling of the bike wanting to be thrashed to get the best out of it.

Was out 10-15 mins and pulled into the local industrial estate for a few u turns, figures of 8, e-stops to familiarise myself with the bike and was surprised at the ease I was able to do them, easier than the Hornet. Now feeling confident I wasn't going to bin it set about riding the bike in a proper fashion.

Went out for 50 odd miles through familiar roads, a good mixture of town, dual carriageways and green lanes. The acceleration didn't feel as fast as I'd expected but on a number of occasions, was caught out when I looked down at the speedometer to realise that I was going a hell of a lot faster than I thought I was because the bike felt so smooth and balanced if a tiny bit light on the front under acceleration but not too much that I was constantly conscious of the fact.

Wasn't long before confidence levels were soaring and felt like I was flicking the bike about from one side to the other within my own ability.

After being out a while I'd concluded that it was hoot to ride, had got used to the riding position and was starting to weigh up some of the factors about would I consider buying this bike. It felt great fun for weekend blasts and had huge grin factor but wasn't sure how it would feel over longer rides out. Have made a couple of trips to Wales on the Hornet which have been 400-600 miles. Went for the day once and planning on making other long trips of similar distances if not more. Also would be grateful for peoples views on the wind buffering at speeds without a screen?

So back to the dealership with thoughts of part exchanging my bike, brief chat of numbers and it's not as bad as I first thought so seriously tempted.

Any tales of ownership, good or bad will be welcomed to help me make my decision. I've got ABS on the hornet and know this splits opinions. The demo bike didn’t have ABS but think for someone that's not been riding that long would feel more at ease knowing there is a safety net there should I need it but this will not be the deciding factor.

And from what I've read and experience black ones are faster - don't boot me out before I've even made my second post.

Thanks for reading.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Re: Forum newbie - bit wordy

I'll get back to you, I'm still on the first chapter!

Member #
    Liked
    25 times

Reading your write up you have summed it up fairly well. The comments you make about jumping from a 6 to the 1000 are correct, ride the 1000 the same as you did the 6, you will think its seems slower, its the torque of the bigger engine which can make it feel lazier until you look at the speed. What you will find is it pulls better in most gears, which seems like lazier riding but should be smoother than the 6 as less gear changing. But if you red line the bike from 2nd to 4th I am sure you will see the difference.

I have owned mine since they came out and to be honest its what I expected of it. Some have had issues with paint work, heel guards etc. initial run had to have the rear brake cluster replaced, but all should have been done now under recall.

Yes your right there are a few hornets nests members here and a few banned ones who finally have got a Cb1000r...

Its a good site with good cliental. Enjoy the bike when you get it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #

Strangely enough it was my old bike (cbr100rr) being in the dealers that led to me testing the CB1KR.

Difference between you and I though is that as soon as I got back to the dealer I ordered mine. Great bike imo - although there are some parts that could be finished better (cosmetically).

As for the ABS thing - mine doesn't have it but I have never had a bike that did. If you read the reports about ABS and non-abs you will often (think always) that the ABS version stops in a shorter distance but the brakes do not feel as powerful. Up to you on that score (costs more for the ABS version too)

The colour debate is something that is probably not worth starting again as it will turn the thread into a colour fight - but for me I like my Sword Silver CB.

Member #

Thanks for the comments.

From what I've read it the problems are minor and most seem to have been sorted out by dealers or recalls and wouldn't be enough to stop me from buying one.

Think the only things that are holding me back at moment are concerns about comfort on longer journeys and the wind buffering. Suppose the final thing would be the price. Seems have made a big jump in price for the 09 models compared to 08 when speaking to the dealers the bike hasn't changed at all.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times

Quote Originally Posted by streethawk
    Thanks for the comments.

From what I've read it the problems are minor and most seem to have been sorted out by dealers or recalls and wouldn't be enough to stop me from buying one.

Think the only things that are holding me back at moment are concerns about comfort on longer journeys and the wind buffering. Suppose the final thing would be the price. Seems have made a big jump in price for the 09 models compared to 08 when speaking to the dealers the bike hasn't changed at all.
    Same bike different price... 1K increase does sem excessive. Glad I bought mine when I did.

If part x' then work from the price difference and see whats the best overall deal out there. Even phone other dealers to see as some may be better than others, Dobles have been noted for good deals.

Member #

Hello mate - first thing BUY IT

I done the same as you - My first bike after passing i DAS was a CB600FA 2007 - Like you I have not been riding that long but have covered a few miles as I use the bike as a commuter from Hornchurch to Heathrow every day - the Hornet is a great bike but got to a point where i just want something more so i got a CB1000R and havent looked back

I have only had it since the 9th May but am loving everything about it, the way it handles to the way it looks to the way I get excited every morning when i wake up knowing that the hour journy to work is going to be FUN.

I havent finished the breakin period yet but the feeling is like being a kid and waiting from Christmas to come and you know something special is going to arrive

Honestly get one and you wont look back either I never done anything to my CB600FA other than R&G but something is telling me to MOD this bad boy

Make sure you get a good trade in on it - My one had just had its 16k service in perfect condition and got £3200 for it

Let us all know what you decide but I do hope you get one

Where abouts are you mate and maybe a Southern meet could be arranged

Brett

PS - Price I got a ABS 2009 Verison for £7800 (List is £8500)

Member #
    Liked
    150 times

Hi Streethawk

Yeah, you're right, a lot of us came from the 'Nest, but I think that's because the CB1000R appeals to the kind of person who rides a Hornet. I myself came from a 2006 Hornet and after a minute or two I felt immediately at home on the CB1000R.

You've taken the all important step, ie riding the bike. I'm amazed with the maturity in which you approached the test ride too, especially as I was 29 when I bought mine and I just went out and enjoyed it. I read that a few people who went to the Swarm last year tried them out and a lot didn't like it and immediately turned their back on the CB1000R. Some just didn't fit on it (apparently they crushed their nuts on the tank!). If you rode it, found it comfortable and confidence inspiring and you can afford it then just go for it.

Regarding long distances; trust me when I say that it gets more comfortable. My backside hurt after an hour or two of riding the day I bought it, but within days I'd gotten used to it. I had to part with mine unfortunately shortly after 3000 miles but by that time I found it really comfortable and I miss it a lot. As for the wind blast, well I think that 90 is easily maintained without a screen, but you can only do much more than that for short bursts. I've seen over 150mph indicated but there was no way I'd hold that for long. 130 for quick blasts is easy though, not that I'd recommend it The thing I loved about the CB1000R was the fact that it could so quickly get to the Hornet's maximum speed, and it just kept going.

Do bear in mind though that no matter what you think it feels like, that the CB1000R has been clocked doing 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. Seriously, that is the same speed in which the Hayabusa does it, and faster than the 2007 Fireblade from which the engine was donated. This is a missile of a bike, and it is definitely NOT slow. Any friends you may have with 600 sports bikes will need their extra top speed and aerodynamic fairings to keep up with you if you wanted to pin it and go.

Ultimately, it's a great bike and had I not had a baby on the way then I'd still have mine now. For the first time of owning bikes I had found a bike I was planning on keeping, and I usually swapped every year or less

Member #

welcome to forum
    just read your first novel, hope ant did not charge to much in publishing fees.
    i also upgraded from a 07 abs hornet, my test ride was not as long as yours
    as i had decided i had to have one after first 400 yards
    thought the same that for a bigger bike was a lot easyer to ride.
    my only question after the test ride was how much could i trade my hornet in for
    and cost of cb. oh and also what colour. went for green
    so if i were you iwould go to dealer and ask the same two questions

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Streethawk. What you seem to want to know has, I think, been answered by others, so get one and enjoy!
    bilemissile's ride (updated 25/3/10)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links