New member just saying Hello
    Member #

New member just saying Hello

Hi everyone,just joined the forum and wanted to say hello,i have a white CB1000r-a Abs model which ive owned for just over a year......I'm really enjoying the bike and have probably used it more than any bike I've ever had....just got back from a little trip to Ypres in Belgium and in the summer had a four day trip to the Stella Alpina Rally in Italy which was a 1400 mile round trip.....going again next year for seven days via Gemany and Switzerland.The only complaint I have with the bike is the poxy starter motor is messing about and needs to changed.....more on that later

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Welcome to the forum.
    2014 CB1000R
    2015 Grom

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    welcome glad your enjoying the CB

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky boy View Post
    Hi everyone,just joined the forum and wanted to say hello. I have a white CB1000r-a Abs model which I've owned for just over a year......I'm really enjoying the bike and have probably used it more than any bike I've ever had....just got back from a little trip to Ypres in Belgium and in the summer had a four day trip to the Stella Alpina Rally in Italy which was a 1400 mile round trip.....going again next year for seven days via Gemany and Switzerland. The only complaint I have with the bike is the poxy starter motor is messing about and needs to be changed.....more on that later
    Welcome to the forum.

Starter motor trouble ????? Very unusual.-------- What are the symptoms ???

Could easily be something else. Give us some details when you get a chance. Could save you starting to pull your bike apart un-necessarily.-----
    Personal Disclaimer:
    My thoughts are intended to provide a sounding board for your own.
    Some of what I say may go against your own thoughts and may seem harsh, targeted and malicious.
    This is not my intention – I am simply using my experience, including other peoples, as a way of debating and giving advice - of which there is no guarantee that it's correct

Member #
    Hi Colvert
    Thanks......started off with the starter relay just clicking so assumed that the battery was buggered so changed that and no better....bump started the bike and rode a few miles and it seemed to sort itself then it happened again a couple of months later so I had Honda dealer check it out when it was serviced at 12k miles and it cured itself again......very intermittent....was OK all weekend in Belgium apart from two times but if I hold the starter button and tap the starter it will go so it seems almost as if the brushes are sticking....but I have never had a starter pack up on a bike so ......thank God for eBay cos Honda want best part of a grand to supply and Fit!!!!!
    Last edited by Micky boy; 11-15-2016 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Wrong name

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    It would take a lot of starts to wear out the brushes. How old is your bike or what mileage does it have ???

More likely to be a loose connection or a faulty wire if it responds to a tap.

It is a motor related fault and not the one way clutch.

PS. You say that the RELAY was clicking . It could be the relay contacts. Relays quite often click but don't make a circuit because the heavy duty contacts have been burnt away.

However you did say tapping the starter made it work.---
    Last edited by COLVERT; 11-15-2016 at 03:41 PM.
    Personal Disclaimer:
    Some of what I say may go against your own thoughts and may seem harsh, targeted and malicious.
    This is not my intention – I am simply using my experience, including other peoples, as a way of debating and giving advice - of which there is no guarantee that it's correct

Member #
    Only done 12k on a 10 plate.....think I've just been unlucky
    Don't think the brushes are worn just seem like they're sticking or summat.....just a real pain to get at the starter to have a look
    Last edited by Micky boy; 11-16-2016 at 09:33 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    Here are the innards of the starter and slipper clutch.--

Name:  CB Starter motor..jpg
Views: 41
Size:  36.6 KBName:  CB Starter slipper clutch..jpg
Views: 39
Size:  36.3 KB
    Personal Disclaimer:

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    When you press the starter button can you hear the relay CLICK ???

I'm not sure if the relay is easier to get at than the motor. If it is you could check that the power is getting to the output terminal of the relay.
    If it's not then the relay is at fault.
    If it is and the cable to the starter motor is live then the trouble is at that end.--

Looking at the pics above I cant see any easy way to spray some WD 40 into the brush end to unstick the brushes.

As you say, it might just be bad luck.---
    Personal Disclaimer:

Member #
    Well.....that solves the mystery of the starter motor......not very good on a bike with less than 12k miles but hey ho.....all done now
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sponsored Links