I CRASHED my beloved CB!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #

I CRASHED my beloved CB!

I just want to share something I've learned. I went out for a run last week thinking it was going to be the last run of the year, weather wasn't great, there were showers in the early morning but had cleared up by the time we set off. The roads were mainly dry with some wet patches in the shaded areas. Before i set off I checked my tyre pressures with a digital gauge because thats the kind of guy I am, just want the bike in tip top condition, I had also spent the last two days polishing the headers, getting them like new. Any way, after about 10 minutes riding there we got to a good piece of road with three small bends and a final tight bend. I judged the road surface on the first three and had confidence tackling the tight one but on exiting the bend the rear wheel slid out from under me and the bike skidded off the road and hit the back of a pretty large ditch and flipped up the other side, luckily I was wearing all the right gear (thank feck it wasn't my new two piece dianese's) and the only injury I got was a broken heart and a sore thumb.

Now why did this happen? Im not a hooligan Ive not got enough experience so I didn't take the bend at a crazy speed, I seen the road ahead was clear so I leaned the bike in like Ive done many times before anticipating going wide. The road was slightly damp so I came to the conclusion it was the rear tyre!

Ive had new tyres ordered 3 months ago but thought Id get them fitted before the good weather starts next year. The rear tyre on the bike is perfectly legal well within the TWI markers but there is quite a large flattened area around the middle of the tyre causing an edge so when leaning over there would have been a reduced contact patch to the road and with the damp surface this is what I believe caused the back wheel to slide out from under me.

So now if I ever have doubts about my tyres in the future Im just going to get them changed and not take a chance thinking Ill can get a couple more runs out them.

The bike is currently with the insurance investigators waiting its fate if it can be repaired or written off.

Please don't take a gamble with your tyres, if you think they need changing just get it done!

Cheers Robbie

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    So sorry to hear about your crash Robbie. I hope the damage is not too bad so it can be repaired.

The tyre might still have been legal but if there was still a shiny patch around the sides where it had not been worn in and you don`t lean the bike far enough over to reach them that might have caused the tyre to let go as well. I saw a vid on YouTube where a guy always cleans off the sides with soap and water even when they are new for this reason. Take a look at this -

Member #
    Liked
    813 times
    Thanks for sharing and so glad you are ok - bikes are easier to fix than people ! - I ride into winter until the salt comes down but autumn winter riding is definitely a different kettle of fish - cold roads, cold ambient temps and damp patches and debris on the road - it's a different riding style for me and often you may get the rear or front moving about more or generally giving less confidence.

Got to agree that in these situations your tyres have to be in the best condition.

The best answer for me is an all weather tyre that can hack cold and inconsistent road conditions, but also to take a good percentage of lean and throttle off the riding style - although as you have kindly shared, even that doesn't guarantee keeping it right side up.

Hope it all works out well brother !

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad you're ok and hope the bike situation gets sorted soon. Very useful advice regarding the chicken strips.
    Last edited by tucksie; 11-14-2015 at 04:45 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    153 times
    I have hugh chicken strips !!! I hope it all goes ok for you pal, at least your fine health wise.

Member #
    Liked
    764 times
    Glad you are OK! Sorry about the bike, though.

I've only had one close call if you don't count dodging cunts in cars, and tires (or tyres :P ) were not the issue. I was on a very bumpy stretch of one of my favorite curvy roads and, thanks to some new holes, got bounced off of my line mid-turn sending me wide and headed off road. I envy you guys with reworked forks and an Ohlins!

Dirt experience kicked in and I stood on the pegs and rode it through the ditch for a bit and after scrubbing some speed, popped back up on the road. he only thing that was damaged was my underwear and my pride (I was riding with a friend).

I would be sick if I crashed my CB. I try to get all of my crashing out of the way on my YZ.
    "I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal. People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

My Bike

Member #
    Liked
    841 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
    I have hugh chicken strips !!! I hope it all goes ok for you pal, at least your fine health wise.
    Name:  Like button.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  35.0 KB
    Nice to hear from someone who's not a Moto GP star in the making....

As for the tyres spitting you off. I learnt a long time ago that touring/sport touring tyres are much better on the roads than semi slick/race orientated tyres on public roads. Unless you are a riding god who can get race tyres up to their operating temperature.
    Touring tyres get up to their correct working temperature to give their optimum grip without having to ride hard...... So in effect, they grip more than a full on sports tyre.

Just my penneth worth.......................
    Gargoyle's Tourer.

R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli

Member #
    Liked
    206 times
    Do not think it was the chicken strips that caused it, my bike had about 20mm strips ,gave my mate who races a go on my bike cold dampish day and he came back with chicken strips almost gone,did you check the road for diesel ,as long as u r OK that's the main thing.

Member #
    Sorry about your bike. Thanks for your helpful advice.

Member #
    Cheers 20fingers, I didn't check for diesel but there could easy of been some spilt there at some point. I don't think it was the chicken strips either as Im loads more confident on left hand bends than right so the tyre only really has the shiny strip on the right side, I sure it was the edge of the flat spot on the tyre and the wet road.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links