I CRASHED my beloved CB! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    Quote Originally Posted by potent1 View Post
    I agree...i had some chicken strips for over a month, hit the canyons got them down to just a sliver.....people really give way too much credit to the whole "wax on new tires" thing. to me its a bunch of bollocks, its more likely that road conditions or rider error will cause a crash.
    When people talk about the Release Agent on new tyres they only mean "be careful for the first few days" at the most.

The stuff is there just to get the tyre out of the mould. It is slippery though.
    Personal Disclaimer:
    My thoughts are intended to provide a sounding board for your own.
    Some of what I say may go against your own thoughts and may seem harsh, targeted and malicious.
    This is not my intention – I am simply using my experience, including other peoples, as a way of debating and giving advice - of which there is no guarantee that it's correct

kit
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
    When people talk about the Release Agent on new tyres they only mean "be careful for the first few days" at the most.

The stuff is there just to get the tyre out of the mould. It is slippery though.
    That stuff are lethal, when I had my T30 evos fitted about 3 months ago I had a few pretty big driftting moment on them. It was a warm summer-ish day and just when I thought I had some tempeature in the tyre it lost grip mid corner and rear spin up, good that I had some experence sliding my SM around I handled it ok.

Take it easy? Yea sure drifting out the first corner few hundred yards from the tyre shop ??? @tamil - icedmind

Best way to take that stuff off is water soluble degresser and jet wash, and get plenty of heat in the tyre before leaning if anyone is put off by my experience
    CB1000R http://www.hondacb1000r.com/forums/m...000r-eala.html
    DRZ 424 SM - Stroker, +1 valves, yoshi cams/full ti system, ACT wide ratio gears, Brembo 4 pots.........
    CBR600F sport - retired on the road but track bike

"hey look, theres another Valentino Rossi on the road....." after seeing someone did a silly move...

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    The release agent stuff hasn't been used in years. I've taken tires with sticker residue still on them out on track with no warmers.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

kit
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RideRed View Post
    The release agent stuff hasn't been used in years. I've taken tires with sticker residue still on them out on track with no warmers.

Sticker residue is one thing, and doesnt make the tyre less sticky, depends on the brand and tyre compound they normally have a film coated of tyre protecting compound on it. If you rub hard on brand new tyres you can feel that stuff coming off the rubber.

I had some new tyres a month ago at Mallory park and crashed after sighting laps on a staright line under a bit of front brake, fornt end folded, I blame that stuff for it
    DRZ 424 SM - Stroker, +1 valves, yoshi cams/full ti system, ACT wide ratio gears, Brembo 4 pots.........

"hey look, theres another Valentino Rossi on the road....." after seeing someone did a silly move...

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RideRed View Post

When I worked at Firestone tyre and rubber they used it to stop the injected rubber sticking to the insides of the mould.

What do they do now then. Just Spit in it ???----
    Personal Disclaimer:
    Some of what I say may go against your own thoughts and may seem harsh, targeted and malicious.
    This is not my intention – I am simply using my experience, including other peoples, as a way of debating and giving advice - of which there is no guarantee that it's correct

Member #
    Liked
    151 times
    When I worked at Firestone tyre and rubber they used it to stop the injected rubber sticking to the insides of the mould.

This debate about releasing agent is raging on lots of forums, on one of those other forums one member emailed some manufacturers to get the truth about releasing agents. Here are the replies.

What Dunlop had to say,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your Dunlop motorcycle tire questions. Dunlop Motorcycle Tire does NOT use a "mold releasing agent" during the production of our tires. When new tires are fitted, they should not be subjected to maximum power, abrupt lean-over or hard cornering until a reasonable run-in distance of approximately 100 miles has been covered. This will permit the rider to become accustomed to the feel of the new tires or tire combination, find the edge, and achieve optimum road grip for a range of speeds, acceleration and handling use. Be sure to check and adjust inflation pressure to recommended levels after the tire cools for at least three (3) hours following run-in. Remember, new tires will have a very different contact patch and lean-over edge. New tires, mixing a new tire with an used tire, and mixing tread pattern combinations require careful ride evaluations.

What Pirelli had to say,

Pirelli does not use mold release. Tires are shiny because the general buying public demands that visually a tire look cool, smooth, shiny, and new when they shop for tires in the rack at the dealer. We rely on the smoothness of the mold to get this appearance and to help the tire let go from the mold during production.

I like to say tires are like new shoes, MX boots, or a leather jacket as they need the proper break in time. Regarding getting heat into tires this follows the same idea, only time and friction will put the heat in. I have attached a copy of the brochure so you can read about break in suggestions in the technical area. Ride safe

What Michelin had to say,

Thank you for your email. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

Concerning your question, Michelin has a mold release agent on all motorcycle tires. This will cause the tire to be slippery in the first few miles, but that goes away after the tire is scrubbed in. This normally occurs in the first 25-50 miles or so. Until then, the rider should use caution in riding the tire at accelerated speeds. Michelin always recommends obeying the speed limits and using care whenever riding.

If your questions have not been answered to your satisfaction, please call.

Bridgestone did reply but didn't say if they used a releasing agent or not.

So it isn't as straightforward as "all tyres will have a releasing agent residue" some will and some will not.

Member #
    Liked
    228 times
    It doesn't take 100 miles anyway.

First thing I do with new tyres, unless it's raining, is head for the wigglies. I'll often get close to the edge within 10 or 20 miles. All you actually need to do is use the tyres without being overly enthusiastic and ham fisted.

kit
    Member #

Of course I am no expert in this but I am sure that when I picked up my T30s its definatley slippery and when I rub my finger on it after the big drifting moment on the side to check it was definately slippery as f***; and same after my crash on Mallory (that was metzeler)

However there wasnt any of that thin waxy stuff on the Brightstone S21 when I had it earlier in the summer

Anyways thought I just thought I share my experience with horrible release agent or whatever it is that I experienced because it wasn't that fun for me (funny to watch maybe)

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    What it boils down to then is gently scrub any new tyre in. You would do that anyway if you had any sense.---
    Personal Disclaimer:

kit
    Member #
    What it boils down to then is gently scrub any new tyre in. You would do that anyway if you had any sense.---
    Gentaly have a lot of different level my missus don't use that word no more

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links